Zoom G3 vs M5/9

highwayone73

• Members

For mod sounds.

Which do you guys like more? I don't use a ton of modulation - a little chorus and rotary here and there - so I don't want to get a bunch of pedals to cover the little bit I do use. What I'd like to do is get a multi with a few choice models and have a few presets that I can call up when I need them. Im hoping that either an M5 or G3 can get me there.

What say you, HCFX?

• Members

Im getting an m13 to eventually take up the channel switching on my Mark V. If I werent wanting to use midi, I was considering getting a g3 and g3x to run the g3 in the loop and the g3x out front. The price on those is great for what you get.

• Members

Im getting an m13 to eventually take up the channel switching on my Mark V. If I werent wanting to use midi, I was considering getting a g3 and g3x to run the g3 in the loop and the g3x out front. The price on those is great for what you get.

• Members

The thing that puts me off the G3 is that Ive played the older Zoom G-xx units and they were terrible. I worked in a shop that sold them and honestly, in a head to head comp the Behringer V-amp sounded better. Im sure the models have been updated ect, but Im a little wary of the brand.

Otoh, I have a POD UX2 that I use as a DI and Im okay with the mods on that, its just not functional on a pedalboard. Im relatively familiar with Line6's sounds and while not spectacular, they are useable. I won't be using amp models or dirt from either unit. Ive more than got that covered with pedals and amps and Ive long since learned my lesson about amp sims and model'd distortion pedals.

• Members

IMO, owning and liking both, Zoom Mod>Line 6 Mod. I have never played older Zoom products but from everything I read before purchasing the G3/G5 is apples and oranges to the old stuff. Have you looked at Zoom's multistomp? The size of a boss pedal and you can have up to six effects at once (or just one or two if you wish). I believe Analog mod>Digital mod that's why the zoom is on my small board for direct to mixer applications, but for the price the mods on the G3 are really quite good. Pitch-shifting/harmony etc. are {censored} however.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by barjv01

View Post

IMO, owning and liking both, Zoom Mod>Line 6 Mod. I have never played older Zoom products but from everything I read before purchasing the G3/G5 is apples and oranges to the old stuff. Have you looked at Zoom's multistomp? The size of a boss pedal and you can have up to six effects at once (or just one or two if you wish). I believe Analog mod>Digital mod that's why the zoom is on my small board for direct to mixer applications, but for the price the mods on the G3 are really quite good. Pitch-shifting/harmony etc. are {censored} however.

Just googled the multistomp, looks like an option. Cool idea anyway. I run a stereo setup so I'd want to get the MS100 and at that point I'd be spending close to the same money. I think the M5 is off the table, simply because it cant run multiple effects at the same time.

• Members

The only thing line 6 had over zoom was the interface. I think Zoom corrected that with the g3/b3 line. I'd go with Zoom. Could even take a look at the Zoom MS-50G and the MS-100BT to save even more space on the board. Another completely different option is the Marshall Regenerator. It has 2 choruses, 2 phasers, a flanger, and uni-vibe. Can be had cheap on ebay.

This video isn't English, but it's the best demo I found:

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by highwayone73 View Post
For mod sounds.

Which do you guys like more? I don't use a ton of modulation - a little chorus and rotary here and there - so I don't want to get a bunch of pedals to cover the little bit I do use. What I'd like to do is get a multi with a few choice models and have a few presets that I can call up when I need them. Im hoping that either an M5 or G3 can get me there.

What say you, HCFX?
I have both. The Zoom has better choruses and vibratos...all the other Line 6 mod effects are better. redface.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you are gigging, I would go with the M9.

For all the bedroom players, the G3 is the best option with everything under one roof.

The M5 seems like a good fit for some, but only 1 FX a time seems limiting when you can get the G3 or Multi stomp for less $$

Archived