Echorec Vs Supa-Puss

Stubacca

• Members

So I'm looking to add a second delay again and I have been looking at these two, the Catalinbread Echorec and the Way Huge Supa-Puss. Anyone played them both? Looking for something that will work well in a live setting. Any other cool delays out there with modulation that I should be looking at?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca View Post
So I'm looking to add a second delay again and I have been looking at these two, the Catalinbread Echorec and the Way Huge Supa-Puss. Anyone played them both? Looking for something that will work well in a live setting. Any other cool delays out there with modulation that I should be looking at?
Visual Sound Dual Tap or the Single Tap Delay.

Visual-Sound-Dual-Tap-Delay-640-80.jpg

visualsound-v3_tapdelay_001.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stubacca View Post

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by One Man Banned View Post

So have you played it? Can you tell me how it performs live? Your Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by macadood View Post
of these two i'd get the Echorec idn_smilie.gif

as far as other delays, if you have the space/money a Pigtronix echolution is top tier. maybe a XO DMM, subdecay Echobox, or Skrecho all are very nice.
I think I'm leaning towards the Echorec... the Skretcho was in my mind too. I have a mod'd DMM now so I'm looking for a good companion... Echorec might be the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazinish View Post
While I love my Supa Puss, I have heard many bad things about them from a lot of people. It looks like there are a lot of inconsistencies between pedals. If you were to go that route make sure you try whatever unit first.
Do you now what version yours is then? Do you notice the volume drop?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by One Man Banned View Post

So have you played it? Can you tell me how it performs live? Your Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by macadood View Post
of these two i'd get the Echorec idn_smilie.gif

as far as other delays, if you have the space/money a Pigtronix echolution is top tier. maybe a XO DMM, subdecay Echobox, or Skrecho all are very nice.
I think I'm leaning towards the Echorec... the Skretcho was in my mind too. I have a mod'd DMM now so I'm looking for a good companion... Echorec might be the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazinish View Post
While I love my Supa Puss, I have heard many bad things about them from a lot of people. It looks like there are a lot of inconsistencies between pedals. If you were to go that route make sure you try whatever unit first.
Do you now what version yours is then? Do you notice the volume drop?

• Members

I like the Supa Puss. A lot. It is, what the 919 basically, was supposed to be. 900ms of delay time (although sounds best when it doesn't go over say 650ms). It has tap tempo, great modulation (I actually think it sounds better than the DMM), a tone control too.

Yes it can oscillate fairly easily, if you turn up the gain fairly high. And it has a slight volume drop, very slight. I seldom notice it to be honest. And I think this was 90% of the "problems" that were discussed on TGP. You also get an expression pedal input for it, although I haven't used that yet.

I haven't tried the Echorec, but want one, it seems pretty cool.

I've been testing out the Diamond Quantum Leap lately. Very interesting pedal. The delays are quite dark and murky if you like that, sort of reminds me of the Malekko e600d I use to have. Plus you get other modes for chorus, flange, and filters. If you want something different, this is it.

• Members

Well I ended up ordering an Echorec and just as I did I found an GREAT deal on a Skreddy Echo so I had to jump on it too. So, now I have three new pedals (got a Dope Priest as well) and not even space for one on my board... gotta make some hard choices.

• Members

I played the Catalinbread Echorec yesterday.

My takeaway: It's OK. Not great, but OK.

It's a nice pedal for what it is. Maybe Pink Floyd fans will find a reason to love it.

From the perspective of someone who's just looking for something cool in an echo stompbox, I wasn't blown away by it.

For starters, I thought that the modulation was too exaggerated. And the echo decay - which may very well be exactly the way a real Echorec sounds (I've never played the real thing) - may be spot-on (or not); it just didn't sound very interesting to me. 

What do I consider "interesting"...? Try an RE-20. Or just about any of the EHX Memory Man pedals that use a real BBD and compander.

Digital emulations always seem to push the limits of the designer when it comes to UI interaction. There's always *something* that leaves me scratching my head, wondering "what made the designer think that was a good idea?" In the case of the RE-20, for example, it was referencing the tap-tempo to the first active head rather than some immutable reference point (like the first head, whether selected or not...)

The UI flaw in the Echorec was the (to me) inexplicable cancelling of active echoes when changing the head-selector dial. Even though I've never played a real Echorec, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the original did not cancel all in-progress echoes every time you spun the head selector dial, because it would have been technologically impossible to do so. Despite this, the Catalinbread Echorec treats each "click" of the head selector as a reset for all existing echoes. Weird...

Just because this pedal didn't float my boat doesn't mean it's not worth a look. The Catalinbread Echorec - as I said at the start - is good at what it does. If you like the way it sounds, there aren't many alternatives (maybe one of the Strymon echoes will get you into the same ballpark...).

• Members

Thanks for the imput. To be clear this was just as an extra delay for me. I already have a mod'd DMM and its pretty much untouchable... I was just looking for an extra flavor. So far I dig the echorec, not sure if it will stay but I do enjoy the multiple head emulations.

Archived