Why would you want a Tonebender when you can have a Buzzaround?

Burg

• Members

If I knew then what I know now...

Granted, a well made Tonebender is a joy to slam. But the Buzzaround...wow.

Shaun Klinger is a friend and one-man operation based in Melbourne, Australia, making some of the finest fuzzes I have ever had the good fortune to try. He doesn't have a waiting list at the moment but I imagine that might change after these vids have been scoped. Shaun doesn't have a website per se, and he's not even a member here or at any other board that I know of. I think he should be. He has something special to offer.

Buzzaround

[video=youtube;ux6B7rda1wQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux6B7rda1wQ

MKI

[video=youtube;NhYTMiGbELs]

The MkI sounds more sputtery and compressed -- like it's hitting the wall, while the Buzzaround is much smoother and more modern sounding. Great stuff as always Brett!

Does your mate have US distribution? With no website, and no forum presence, how does one get ahold of him if they're interested in ordering a pedal?

BTW, that's a beautiful Les Paul. What model is it?

• Members

The MkI sounds more sputtery and compressed -- like it's hitting the wall, while the Buzzaround is much smoother and more modern sounding. Great stuff as always Brett!

Does your mate have US distribution? With no website, and no forum presence, how does one get ahold of him if they're interested in ordering a pedal?

BTW, that's a beautiful Les Paul. What model is it?

Hey Phil! :wave:

Shaun Klinger has a small Myspace site but no distribution or dealers in the USA at this time. His Myspace site is at http://www.myspace.com/klingercustompedals

Those who are interested in a build can email him at shaunk5520@hotmail.com

Shaun's not big on the forums although I've convinced him to join this one which I believe he did a couple of hours ago, but he's having trouble posting. We'll sort it out.

The Les Paul is one of the (nearly) legendary Standard Fadeds, built by Gibson in 2010 and modded to within an inch of its life by Larry Corsa. Really, the only thing left on it that's original is the wood. Everything else has been replaced to approximate as closely as possible Peter Green's '59 Burst. Hence the serial number - LCPG-187. Full details and photos of the guitar's transformation can be viewed at http://www.cvguitars.com/PGMod/LCPG-187/ .

Apparently after supply of the Fadeds was stopped (many think they're the best sounding Les Paul they've made for decades) Gibson issued their own Peter Green relic based (I think) a lot on the work that Larry did. Larry was able to produce around 200 of these LCPG's before Gibson stopped supplying him. It didn't stop him, though, and now he's building his own Peter Green replicas from the ground up and selling them as 'Corsa Guitars'. They sell out before they're even built. I'll be keen to try one as soon as I can afford it.

So there you go. :D

Shaun's not big on the forums although I've convinced him to join this one which I believe he did a couple of hours ago, but he's having trouble posting. We'll sort it out.

There's a 24 hour anti-spambot delay in place between registration and when the system allows you to post. What's his screen name? I'll go turn that off for him. :wave:

The Les Paul is one of the (nearly) legendary Standard Fadeds, built by Gibson in 2010 and modded to within an inch of its life by Larry Corsa. Really, the only thing left on it that's original is the wood. Everything else has been replaced to approximate as closely as possible Peter Green's '59 Burst. Hence the serial number - LCPG-187. Full details and photos of the guitar's transformation can be viewed at
http://www.cvguitars.com/PGMod/LCPG-187/

Simply beautiful. Really - I could tell from the video it was something pretty special. How's she play?

• Members

Simply beautiful. Really - I could tell from the video it was something pretty special. How's she play?

Phil, it plays like a buttered aphrodite. And it sings like a happy one.

Mr Corsa is very talented in that department. Did you know he's behind the Manalishi pickups, too? The man's really into that stuff. Luckily for us. Gibson should be acknowledged as well, of course, but I don't think they realised how good that Faded batch sounded compared to the other LP's they were spitting out at the time. That includes RI's, Custom Shops...all that stuff. The price and trimmings are irrelevant. Performance and tone are everything. The Faded's from that period (2008-2010) will be worth a bit in years to come, I reckon. Matters little to me, though, as I ain't selling this one.

What neck profile - is it a 50s or a 60s slim-taper? Did Larry Corsa refinish it too, or is that the stock Gibby finish?

What puzzles me about Gibson sometimes is that when they hit on a killer formula, they change it. They ought to know what they were doing then, and how it differs from what they do now, and go back to what worked better. Maybe some of it is not easily duplicated - a special batch of wood ( oh no he di'int! :eek:;) ) or something. Seriously, I personally think wood can indeed make a very audible difference in the sound of a guitar, and sometimes you just get a good batch of stuff like that (yes, even through 100% fully legal channels). Of course, that top looks pretty aces too, and the finish looks fantastic. I suspect Mr Corsa did it, but whomever did deserves some props. It looks thin and authentically worn.

You're a lucky man. :) I'm happy for you. And jealous as hell! :lol:

• Members

It's a 50's neck profile; quite beefy but not excessively so. It's good for me because I have the long hands.

The finish is a super thin layer of nitro, something that attracted me instantly as I can't stand urethane pap on guitars. Larry gives it a polish to bring out the sheen. The stock Fadeds are unpolished and look...faded. I've just had the 2000 Standard Tele stripped of all its heavy lacquer and oiled down to a Charvel finish which is basically what this LP is as well. Larry doesn't really alter the physical profiles; he appreciates this series for what it is (was) - nearly damn perfect. Rather, he goes in and trashes the hardware: bridge becomes Faber, pickups become Manalishis, tuners become Grovers and all pots and electronics are swapped out for PTP mojo parts, as close to original '59 specs as possible. Then he photographs it, films himself playing some Peter Green tunes with it (something I'd never be able to do as I don't know one properly!) and then puts it up for sale. This caught on pretty quickly and the LCPG's ended up being pre-sold well before he could finish them. Now, of course, Gibson have cut off his supply so he's making his own! Heheh. The man's on a serious mission.

What neck profile - is it a 50s or a 60s slim-taper? Did Larry Corsa refinish it too, or is that the stock Gibby finish?

What puzzles me about Gibson sometimes is that when they hit on a killer formula, they change it. They ought to know what they were doing then, and how it differs from what they do now, and go back to what worked better. Maybe some of it is not easily duplicated - a special batch of wood ( oh no he di'int!
:eek:;)
) or something. Seriously, I personally think wood can indeed make a very audible difference in the sound of a guitar, and sometimes you just get a good batch of stuff like that (yes, even through 100% fully legal channels). Of course, that top looks pretty aces too, and the finish looks fantastic. I suspect Mr Corsa did it, but whomever did deserves some props. It looks thin and authentically worn.

You're a lucky man.
:)
I'm happy for you. And jealous as hell!
:lol:

• Members

Those things definitly sounds great. Personally I think the MK I is more of a fuzz, the Buzzaround sounds fantastic but very much like a distortion...

Thanks for making and posting the vids. And to answer your initial question:

You can never have enough fuzz, right? ;)

• Members

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the Kind words.

Brett did a great job, as he always does. I'm very proud to have someone like Brett with all his experience to give both the pedals such a big thumbs up.

:wave: Klinger

the Buzzaround sounds really impressive, I love the build and it's really cool that you didn't just use a Hammond box. are you going to have a Canadian distributor or is it a buy direct situation? pricing?

• Members

:wave:
Klinger

the Buzzaround sounds really impressive, I love the build and it's really cool that you didn't just use a Hammond box. are you going to have a Canadian distributor or is it a buy direct situation? pricing?

What he says and what he asks, except for Europe instead of Canada.

And welcome to HCFX! :wave:

Archived