DIY'ers: transistor substitutions for Fuzz Factory

Hiwatt Bob

• Members

so i've got an Inventobox on the way (scored it for $175 on ebay with the modules).

i'm a complete nooob when it comes to electronics/circuits/etc. but i want to do some simple breadboarding eventually. first off i want to get my carrot wet trying different transistors and caps with the fuzz factory module--just to see how they affect toanz, etc.

i want to try an all silicon version, hybrid, and try different germ trannies. any good suggestions?

• Members

So, going by the DIY layouts I can find such as Ivlarks http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search/label/ZVex or madbean's http://www.madbeanpedals.com/project...mbii_ver.5.pdf the fuzz factory has one Silicon NPN transistor (Q1), and two Germanium PNP resistors (Q3, Q4).

the main thing is to make sure that your transistors are the right type and are oriented correctly. Almost any NPN silicon transistor should work for Q1, so like the 2n2222, 2n2222a (metal can mojo version), 2n5088/2n5089 (used in the big muff)...etc...

Germanium transistors can be somewhat tricky. I think Q2 is supposed to have an hFE (basically gain) of around 70, and Q3 an hFE of around 110 for optimal sound. Germanium transistors are pretty inconstantly made so and have to be able to test for ones that are in spec and find ones that don't "leak". For you that means you have to go to a place like smallbearelec.com to find matched pairs which costs more.

I think any germanium PNP transistors you can find will basically work and maybe going outside of the suggested hFE might net interesting results. In that case you can go on ebay and buy a ton of NOS soviet ones for cheap and mess around

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain View Post
I say try some Silicon in v2 and v3. Get REAL crazy. as long as it's the same pinout you're good.
Yea, PNP silicon transistors would be interesting.

this is a little beyond my experience, but you can basically put FETs and MOSFETs in place of BJTs right?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain View Post
I say try some Silicon in v2 and v3. Get REAL crazy. as long as it's the same pinout you're good.
Yea, PNP silicon transistors would be interesting.

this is a little beyond my experience, but you can basically put FETs and MOSFETs in place of BJTs right?

• 1 month later...

Archived