Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY'ers: transistor substitutions for Fuzz Factory

so i've got an Inventobox on the way (scored it for $175 on ebay with the modules).

i'm a complete nooob when it comes to electronics/circuits/etc. but i want to do some simple breadboarding eventually. first off i want to get my carrot wet trying different transistors and caps with the fuzz factory module--just to see how they affect toanz, etc.

i want to try an all silicon version, hybrid, and try different germ trannies. any good suggestions?
    MAN for that kind of thing U got to go Back to the Old boxes from back when!! In those days we would bring are AMPS to the lake and wnen U tilt the Cab down by the water U can see the ****************in DENT it made! With the waves coming off it and Everything ****************!!!!! NOwadays they all play in there Dens and home bars or watever kind of **************** they get up to

So, going by the DIY layouts I can find such as Ivlarks http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search/label/ZVex or madbean's http://www.madbeanpedals.com/project...mbii_ver.5.pdf the fuzz factory has one Silicon NPN transistor (Q1), and two Germanium PNP resistors (Q3, Q4).

the main thing is to make sure that your transistors are the right type and are oriented correctly. Almost any NPN silicon transistor should work for Q1, so like the 2n2222, 2n2222a (metal can mojo version), 2n5088/2n5089 (used in the big muff)...etc...

Germanium transistors can be somewhat tricky. I think Q2 is supposed to have an hFE (basically gain) of around 70, and Q3 an hFE of around 110 for optimal sound. Germanium transistors are pretty inconstantly made so and have to be able to test for ones that are in spec and find ones that don't "leak". For you that means you have to go to a place like smallbearelec.com to find matched pairs which costs more.

I think any germanium PNP transistors you can find will basically work and maybe going outside of the suggested hFE might net interesting results. In that case you can go on ebay and buy a ton of NOS soviet ones for cheap and mess around
    Good Deals: Hangwire, mhuxtable, Travybear

Comment

I say try some Silicon in v2 and v3. Get REAL crazy. as long as it's the same pinout you're good.
      www.facebook.com/caveinanalogeffects

Guitars:Peavey hp exp, Squier 51 (gfs liverpool in bridge Brass bottom in neck), Squier jazzmaster
      Amps: Traynor yba-1 modded for KT88, silverface fender bandmaster reverb, Silvertone 1474, 2x12 (WGS g12c), 2x12 (WGS vet30/reaper hp)
      Pedals:Eb volume/pan-->tu2-->skreddy screwdriver-->timmy-->Fuzzfactory/sho-->hm fuzz v3--> dd20--> moog phaser-->cathedral-->rc20xl

Comment

PM me your address and I'll shoot you over some germanium PNPs that I don't really use.
        http://myspace.com/hotmessization
        http://brochu.bandcamp.com

- SPAM -
        Fender HRD White Lightning - Limited run of 800 - PM me
        Two Celestion Seventy 80 speakers - 16ohm - $100 for the pair

Comment

thanks bros--helpful advice!

Quote Originally Posted by hotmess
          View Post

PM me your address and I'll shoot you over some germanium PNPs that I don't really use.

my mang! pm'd. huge thanks--very kind of you!
          MAN for that kind of thing U got to go Back to the Old boxes from back when!! In those days we would bring are AMPS to the lake and wnen U tilt the Cab down by the water U can see the ****************in DENT it made! With the waves coming off it and Everything ****************!!!!! NOwadays they all play in there Dens and home bars or watever kind of **************** they get up to

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain
            View Post

I say try some Silicon in v2 and v3. Get REAL crazy. as long as it's the same pinout you're good.

Yea, PNP silicon transistors would be interesting.

this is a little beyond my experience, but you can basically put FETs and MOSFETs in place of BJTs right?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain
              View Post

Yea, PNP silicon transistors would be interesting.

this is a little beyond my experience, but you can basically put FETs and MOSFETs in place of BJTs right?

Comment

Good read
                Originally Posted by Naterel "All bands suck period"

Comment

Nice bob can u do an invento box instructional vidya? And get zack to lower the price? Thx in advance

Comment

Working...
                  X