Sell me on the Fuzz Factory

sameoldbluesman

• Members

So I know Zvex isn't a popular topic around here, but i have listened to demo's and finally went and played the real thing today at a shop, and well, I think I want one. I'm looking at picking up something nice in the effects category sometime soon because it's been a while since I added a pedal to the board (so far all I have for dirt is a BBE Green Screamer). Right now, I play a tele through an egnater.

Is this pedal really all that? I didn't have too much time with it today, so I didn't get to tweak the knobs enough to judge.

• Members

Good suggestion. I intend to go back to the shop and test it with my guitar before shelling out the dough. I think PGS has a pretty good return policy, so I may go that route instead of buying it from the shop.

I own an American Vexter version and I think it's pretty fantastic. After owning many an oscillating fuzz I settled back on the Fuzz Factory once and for all. But opinions on the internet mean little when you have the ability to try one out yourself. So evaluate and decide man :)

• Members

I built one and was surprised by how much i like it. Specifically that while i was expecting sort of a novelty toy sort of thing, it is much more usable and controllable than i expected.

The knobs are very interactive. The two charts of settings found here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1376352-New-and-Improved-Fuzz-Factory-Settings-List (they are in post #14) are actually pretty useful for jumping in and seeing firsthand how the interactivity of the controls can be exploited/utilized to achieve fairly reproducible sounds from the thing.

• Members

I bought and sold two Vexter Fuzz Factories because I hated it when I had it, missed it when I didn't. I ended up with a hand painted one and it's been the mainstay on my board for years.

You really have to play around with it, took me three Fuzz Factories to finally get it. If the crazy fuzz is not your thing put a buffer in front of it, it kills the oscillations and tames the fuzz, which comes in handy some times.

• Members

Before i bought mine i found the lists of settings that are on here somewhere (might come up in a search), printed them out and took them to the shop when i tried it out.

I knew the Fuzz Factory was very tweakable from reading stuff here. So i thought it best to go armed with some settings to dial in, instead of just messing around with it and annoying the shop staff with endless squealing noises.

Got myself an orange sparkle one. I use it on almost everything i do. One of the most useful and fun pedals i've bought.

• Members

if you can ever dial in the tone you hear in your head, it's the greatest fuzz ever.

with that said, i'm still twisting the knobs every day.

this 100%

i have the fuzz factory and the fuzz probe. the sounds you can dial in are friggen amazing. some of the best fuzz sounds i have ever heard i have coax'd out of these. however the knobs are so sensitive that even if you mark your fav setting with a marker it close to impossible to dial in the exact same sound once the knobs are moved. hell sometimes ill even unplug it and not move any knobs and when i plug it back in it sounds completely different. for live situations i would recomend the wolf cpu because i have alot easier time recalling fav settings/sounds. it would suck to have to dial in your fuzz factory before a set. however for the studio i would prob grab the ff

• Members

this 100%

i have the fuzz factory and the fuzz probe. the sounds you can dial in are friggen amazing. some of the best fuzz sounds i have ever heard i have coax'd out of these. however the knobs are so sensitive that even if you mark your fav setting with a marker it close to impossible to dial in the exact same sound once the knobs are moved. hell sometimes ill even unplug it and not move any knobs and when i plug it back in it sounds completely different. for live situations i would recomend the wolf cpu because i have alot easier time recalling fav settings/sounds. it would suck to have to dial in your fuzz factory before a set. however for the studio i would prob grab the ff

Yeah. I find the wolf computer touchy, too, because of the pot values, but since it's silicon it will be consisently touchy.

Archived