so the old HOGs are selling for more than the new

Faldoe

• Members

I checked ebay to see if any HOG 2s were listed - they are, at $476 shipped. Some folks have the HOG listed for $509.

Seems the new preset controllers are cheaper than the old one - at new prices. The new ones going for like $130 something IRRC, and the old ones are listed for more.

I wouldn't buy the controller as I'd use my midi controller for presets. Not sure if I want to dish out the $476 either but seems like it could be worth it given the old HOGs may be going for the same or more.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I know they cane out with a HOG 2, but what are the main differences between them?

Sophisticated new algorithms improve the quality of the ten generated octaves and harmonics as well as the Freeze function.

Full MIDI control over all parameters and presets.  The old one had a MIDI input but I never messed with it.  Sounds like there could be more you can do with it now.  I'm not sure if you could use it for presets on the old one but I could be wrong.

The input gain slider has been replaced with a master vol slider.

Looks like it requires 200mA while the old one needed 500mA.

Clip LED is gone and a preset LED is in its place.

The foot controller for the presets is completely different.  It's a lot smaller and can store 100 presets compared to the six the old one could.

• Members

I feel like the new HOG really misses in one big way. It doesn't include any kind of detune function. I would have gladly given up the wah mode for a detune mode that varies in intensity with expression pedal position.

• Members

They keep that feature on the POG only. The reason, I think, is because the detune on the intervals other than pure octaves doesn't sound good at all. And if you detune the octaves but leave the other intervals intact it also doesn't sound good at all. So you'd have a feature leaving users saying "the detune sounds like bleep" when in reality it's just the nature of how intervals sound. You'd only get good sounds out of it if only octave sliders were being used, but many users wouldn't figure that out, and it'd be a negative review point even though it's not the fault of the pedal itself.

Kind of like how people complain about the "tracking" of chords when it's really an issue of difference tones, harmonic clutter, and intonation spread across multiple intervals produced by the HOG that people don't like. Some chords just don't sound good with octaves and 5ths doubled.

• Members

-W- wrote:

I feel like the new HOG really misses in one big way. It doesn't include any kind of detune function. I would have gladly given up the wah mode for a detune mode that varies in intensity with expression pedal position.

get a pog2 bro. seriously cool piece of gear.

or just put a chorus after the hog :idk:

Archived