Apogee Jam vs iRig

Parah Salin

• Members

Has anyone owned both? I'd be using this with my iPhone and iPad in the office. The Apogee Duet looks cool but I can't justify that price tag for this sort of application.

I'm hoping someone will come in and tell me the iRig is just as good as the Jam but I'm guessing that won't be the case. I still want your inputs though.

Also, Amplitube or Garageband?

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised that the Sonuus I2M will act as an input and not just an instrument to midi converter. So I can use it to trigger iMS-20, or even the Keys in Garageband...or I can use it as an input for the amp modeling in Garageband.

It seems quieter than the iRig. Not all the various guitar or music apps support it though. If you've got one you're curious about I could maybe check.

• Members

I have both the iRig and the Jam.

First I got the iRig. To me it's only usable when playing with a clean tone. The dirtier you get the more noise you get. IMHO I found it pretty worthless and a complete waste of money, the worst gear related purchase I made in 2011 bar none.

Then I got the Apogee Jam. The noise is now gone, audio quality as a whole seems upped as well. If you have a Mac (which I assume you do since you had looked at the Duet) you can use the included USB cable and plug the Jam into your Mac as well, I don't think you even needed to install any drivers. After plugging it into my Mac and testing how well it works (and comparing it to my Duet), I can say that now the limiting factor when using it with an iOS device is now the apps, the Jam is great (as in, the Jam will probably be fairly future proof also once better apps are released).

I don't know if it works with PC.

To me the Jam was worth the extra dough.

• Members

the peavey one is supposed to be better than the irig because it has its own dedicated battery power which limits noise.

as an owner of the Peavey I can say without a doubt that it is not better, in fact, way {censored}tier than the irig.

get the jam 4 srs

It's the equivelent of going direct into your mic input on your PC vs a proper USB interface.

• Members

, I can say that now the limiting factor when using it with an iOS device is now the apps, the Jam is great (as in, the Jam will probably be fairly future proof also once better apps are released).

sorry can you explain what you mean by that?

• Members

That was quite poorly worded, I agree.

I just meant that currently with the Jam, the weakest link in the chain are the apps that are available on the iOS platform.

IMHO the iOS apps are clearly not yet up to the standards set by things like PC apps/plug-ins and dedicated hardware modelers (or whatever you'd call them, stuff like the Line6 Pod), however I feel as though once the quality of the apps become higher, I will still not feel the need to replace the Jam, and I base this on how good it sounds when plugged into the Mac.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm pretty happy with the iRig. Just make sure you have a decent amount of battery, airplane mode on, not plugged into a charger and put the noise gate on and it is actually pretty quiet. I play mine almost every day.

• 9 months later...

Archived