Need a new Reverb (long decay, spacey, ambient stuff, shoegaze etc)

gae86

• Members

So until now I used a Boss Rv2 and it's pretty good. I liked especially the plate setting and the hall with the mix and the decay maxed. It has that lo-finess that I really like, but when you don't use extreme settings it's a little meh to me.
so what should I try?

I've been eyeing the cathedral, seems interesting also for the infinite reverb. I just don't like the large footprint but it's not a great problem. The supernatural seems also good but sometimes from demos sounds a little cheesy.

whaddya think? help a brotha out

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd go with a TC Electronic Trinity reverb or a Hardwire Supernatural. My amp's spring reverb and the Boss RV-5 is good enoigh for me, but I guess you could go a little bit more refined/pristine/cork sniffy if you spend more. I mean that in a good way ofcourseicon_lol.gif

My only real gripe with the Boss reverbs, and I guess with all Boss stuff: Shitty bypass. That'd be one reason for me to upgrade if I ever get another band going again. Doesn't seem to bother most people, it's sort of one my pet peeves I guess.

• Members

I'd go with a TC Electronic Trinity reverb or a Hardwire Supernatural. My amp's spring reverb and the Boss RV-5 is good enoigh for me, but I guess you could go a little bit more refined/pristine/cork sniffy if you spend more. I mean that in a good way ofcourseicon_lol.gif

My only real gripe with the Boss reverbs, and I guess with all Boss stuff: Shitty bypass. That'd be one reason for me to upgrade if I ever get another band going again. Doesn't seem to bother most people, it's sort of one my pet peeves I guess.

• Members

EarthQuaker Devices Ghost Echo if you like the more "vintage" spring and plate style. it covers smooth standard reverbs and spacey room/echos. the Mr. Black Eterna is intressting too.. yeah and the Strymon reverbs sounds really good imo. i'd like to check out the neunaber wet as next.

• Members

EarthQuaker Devices Ghost Echo if you like the more "vintage" spring and plate style. it covers smooth standard reverbs and spacey room/echos. the Mr. Black Eterna is intressting too.. yeah and the Strymon reverbs sounds really good imo. i'd like to check out the neunaber wet as next.

• Members

you know how much i love my RV-2 and hate hifi reverbs? the Flint will be great for you.

the cathedral is probably the only reverb i'd look for a deal on. but i'm not convinced the tone knob will make it sound lofi.. just darker..

• Members

you know how much i love my RV-2 and hate hifi reverbs? the Flint will be great for you.

the cathedral is probably the only reverb i'd look for a deal on. but i'm not convinced the tone knob will make it sound lofi.. just darker..

• Members

as Gareth said, one of the things I like the most in the rv 2 is that lo-fi charachter. Ideally I'd like something with an hall, a room and a plate. That's everything I need.
The cathedral has always interested me but I still have to try it. I'm surprised to see all this suggestions on the flint. I thought it was just a a basic reverb with added trems, am I wrong?
and how is it different from the blue sky or whatever is called?

• Members

as Gareth said, one of the things I like the most in the rv 2 is that lo-fi charachter. Ideally I'd like something with an hall, a room and a plate. That's everything I need.
The cathedral has always interested me but I still have to try it. I'm surprised to see all this suggestions on the flint. I thought it was just a a basic reverb with added trems, am I wrong?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gae86 View Post
the Flint is a "standard" verb but with infinite-verb option... the blue sky has just different modes (shimmer and modulation), controll over pre-delay and hi/lo-damp... the pre-delay is nice to set a "far away" sound...

checkout the strymon demos of the flint wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gae86 View Post
the Flint is a "standard" verb but with infinite-verb option... the blue sky has just different modes (shimmer and modulation), controll over pre-delay and hi/lo-damp... the pre-delay is nice to set a "far away" sound...

checkout the strymon demos of the flint wave.gif

• Members

audio samples of the Flints reverb by strymon:

BRS demo with some talk about...

Supernatural vs. Blue Sky

EDIT: but i can't decide between the BRS and Flint... both sounds great and can go from standard to hughe verbs... one comes with the trem, the other with the modulation and the shimmer... the Flint comes just with stereo out and mono in... blue sky has stereo in and outs.

cant wait for the strymon reverb-"line"

• Members

audio samples of the Flints reverb by strymon:

BRS demo with some talk about...

Supernatural vs. Blue Sky

EDIT: but i can't decide between the BRS and Flint... both sounds great and can go from standard to hughe verbs... one comes with the trem, the other with the modulation and the shimmer... the Flint comes just with stereo out and mono in... blue sky has stereo in and outs.

cant wait for the strymon reverb-"line"

• Members
from TGP:

http://soundcloud.com/nathan-sousa/b...everb-shootout

Dr. Scientist Radical Rverberator: This is a great, natural sounding unit. It won't do long long long decays like the Wet/Strymon stuff, but for amp-like reverbs, I thought it was one of the best. It can get a bit noisy at times, and suffers from a lack of a tone control, but tons of options on board with the middle dial for different types of reverbs. A cool pedal for sure, plus a nice small footprint.

Strymon Blue Sky: This is a really hit or miss pedal for me. The last clip of it sounds the best, and that's when it's doing it's over-the-top modulated thing. As a natural verb, it's not my favorite. Shimmer is a nice feature, but is overdone and amply demo'd, so I left that out. The mod is cool, but only if you really want to hear it as an effect. Two tone controls can be nice, but I like the simplicity of one.

Strymon Flint: One of the best, if not the best of the bunch. 3 different modes to choose from (not too little or too much) and a great tone knob. Simple and effective, and great sounding. The 60's drip verb is nice and amp-like, but the 80's long decay is just over-the-top ambient. It does a couple of different sounds very well and could replace a BSR easily for my tastes.

TC Hall of Fame: Another simple to use great sounding box. If you get into the Toneprints, you can easily be overwhlemed, but for the most part, I use the Church, Hall, and Dark Hall Toneprint settings. Tone knob does a lot of good for certain presets as they can get a bit extreme. I love this for an always on verb or effect type verb. It's on my main board and probably won't be leaving.

Boss RV-5: My least favorite of the bunch (there had to be one, right?). Can't really do long decays, and the overall tone of the pedal is too bright and brash for me. I prefer darker reverb sounds that don't splat too much, and this does not excel in that department. The mod was okay, but the BSR/Wet sounded better there. Just okay for me.

Earthquaker Dispatch Master: Another pedal that has it's own unique thing going on. I did all the takes with the delay off except for the last one. I wanted to show what the pedal is capable of for ambient sounds, including the built in delay. But also, as a stand alone verb, it's very nice IMO. It's dark, which I like. There's no tone- so that could be a downfall for some (like the RRR). It's got a nice lush long decay with a subtle mod on there. Not tweakable, but if you like the way it sounds, there's really nothing like it.

Neunaber Stereo Wet: This was my first time playing the Wet and was really honestly torn on it. The tone knob does not have quite the range in the sweep as the Flint, BSR, or Hall of Fame. It doesn't get drastically dark I guess is what I'm saying. It's plenty bright for me in the fully CW setting. It also is not very versatile (besides the Dispatch Master, the only one without selectable reverb types) which is a big drawback for my tastes. You get one sound, and then can tweak the length, mix, and tone (subtly). If you like mod, you're stoked. If you don't, you can't dial it out. It kills on the last take, the long lush decay. That is where it shines, but I wouldn't say it was any better/worse than the Flint in that department. Just different. I would take the Flint/HOF just on the versatility and better tone control. Still, the Wet has a lot of charm and does it's thing very, very well.

So there you go! Hope it helps anyone deciding which reverb unit to buy, or wondering how their pedal stacks up against some others. FOR ME, I would rank them as follows (as an overall "like" of the pedal):

(1) Strymon Flint (overall versatility, adjustability, and just great sounds)
(2) Hall of Fame (tons of options, great tone control, and updateable via Toneprint)
(3) Dispatch Master (instant ambiance, easy to dial in, I happen to love the tone voicing and modulation)
(4) Stereo Wet (long decays are gorgeous, but not a lot of tweakability and a weak tone control)
(5) Strymon Blue Sky (shimmer has become a gimmick to me, and the plate/mod/spring were not great to my ears)
(6) Radical Reverberator (lacks the versatility of tone controls, only has two decay settings, can be a bit noisy)
(7) Boss RV-5 (thin, brittle, not long enough decays, sterile sounding)

wave.gif

• Members
from TGP:

http://soundcloud.com/nathan-sousa/b...everb-shootout

Dr. Scientist Radical Rverberator: This is a great, natural sounding unit. It won't do long long long decays like the Wet/Strymon stuff, but for amp-like reverbs, I thought it was one of the best. It can get a bit noisy at times, and suffers from a lack of a tone control, but tons of options on board with the middle dial for different types of reverbs. A cool pedal for sure, plus a nice small footprint.

Strymon Blue Sky: This is a really hit or miss pedal for me. The last clip of it sounds the best, and that's when it's doing it's over-the-top modulated thing. As a natural verb, it's not my favorite. Shimmer is a nice feature, but is overdone and amply demo'd, so I left that out. The mod is cool, but only if you really want to hear it as an effect. Two tone controls can be nice, but I like the simplicity of one.

Strymon Flint: One of the best, if not the best of the bunch. 3 different modes to choose from (not too little or too much) and a great tone knob. Simple and effective, and great sounding. The 60's drip verb is nice and amp-like, but the 80's long decay is just over-the-top ambient. It does a couple of different sounds very well and could replace a BSR easily for my tastes.

TC Hall of Fame: Another simple to use great sounding box. If you get into the Toneprints, you can easily be overwhlemed, but for the most part, I use the Church, Hall, and Dark Hall Toneprint settings. Tone knob does a lot of good for certain presets as they can get a bit extreme. I love this for an always on verb or effect type verb. It's on my main board and probably won't be leaving.

Boss RV-5: My least favorite of the bunch (there had to be one, right?). Can't really do long decays, and the overall tone of the pedal is too bright and brash for me. I prefer darker reverb sounds that don't splat too much, and this does not excel in that department. The mod was okay, but the BSR/Wet sounded better there. Just okay for me.

Earthquaker Dispatch Master: Another pedal that has it's own unique thing going on. I did all the takes with the delay off except for the last one. I wanted to show what the pedal is capable of for ambient sounds, including the built in delay. But also, as a stand alone verb, it's very nice IMO. It's dark, which I like. There's no tone- so that could be a downfall for some (like the RRR). It's got a nice lush long decay with a subtle mod on there. Not tweakable, but if you like the way it sounds, there's really nothing like it.

Neunaber Stereo Wet: This was my first time playing the Wet and was really honestly torn on it. The tone knob does not have quite the range in the sweep as the Flint, BSR, or Hall of Fame. It doesn't get drastically dark I guess is what I'm saying. It's plenty bright for me in the fully CW setting. It also is not very versatile (besides the Dispatch Master, the only one without selectable reverb types) which is a big drawback for my tastes. You get one sound, and then can tweak the length, mix, and tone (subtly). If you like mod, you're stoked. If you don't, you can't dial it out. It kills on the last take, the long lush decay. That is where it shines, but I wouldn't say it was any better/worse than the Flint in that department. Just different. I would take the Flint/HOF just on the versatility and better tone control. Still, the Wet has a lot of charm and does it's thing very, very well.

So there you go! Hope it helps anyone deciding which reverb unit to buy, or wondering how their pedal stacks up against some others. FOR ME, I would rank them as follows (as an overall "like" of the pedal):

(1) Strymon Flint (overall versatility, adjustability, and just great sounds)
(2) Hall of Fame (tons of options, great tone control, and updateable via Toneprint)
(3) Dispatch Master (instant ambiance, easy to dial in, I happen to love the tone voicing and modulation)
(4) Stereo Wet (long decays are gorgeous, but not a lot of tweakability and a weak tone control)
(5) Strymon Blue Sky (shimmer has become a gimmick to me, and the plate/mod/spring were not great to my ears)
(6) Radical Reverberator (lacks the versatility of tone controls, only has two decay settings, can be a bit noisy)
(7) Boss RV-5 (thin, brittle, not long enough decays, sterile sounding)

wave.gif

Archived