Favorite Headphones?

fuzzface71

• Members

Any headphone users? I have a Sony MDA-V150 that I bought inside the airport one time while I was travelling. This thing sounds ok. Just wondering if you guys have more experience about headphones. I've been playing guitar a lot these days with a headphone, that connected directly to my THR-10. I'm loving this set-up!

• Members

I like the audio technica m-50, they really sound balanced and not too boomy. If you are going to play for tons of hours, get something open back that will let your ears get some air and not get too tired or too hot.

The Beyer Dynamics dt-990 are very comfortable and really even.

• Members

for the last year or so I've been using Bowers and Wilkins P5s for general listening and I love them.

B&W P5

probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever used and they sound great. they're passive so the bass isn't super in your face, and there's no noise cancelling but with the volume up its still parily isolated. I wouldn't use them as monitors while recording or anything, but for daily music listening and the occasional plugging into my keyboard they're way better than anything I've used in the past. I like that the cables and ear pads can be replaced too so that and being made of all metal and leather they should last me a long time.

For me, it depends on what I'm doing. I own a ton of different cans. What I prefer for tracking isn't the same thing I'm going to reach for when doing critical listening on a mix I'm working on, and those are not the same as what I might use when listening to something as I'm reading a book or when I'm checking out the latest video someone posted on HC.

I do really like Grados a lot. I reviewed the SR125i's a while back, and was really impressed with their sound.

Grado SR125i

If I'm doing critical listening, that's what I reach for. They're exceptionally accurate, but they're an open-backed, supra-aural design, which makes them bleed like crazy, so they're not good at all for tracking. They're not the most comfortable cans in the world either, although I find them less annoying than some people apparently do.

Fostex used to make some good cans that were a decent compromise - you could track with the T-20's without too much bleed, and they were fairly accurate for their day, and they were very comfortable. I'm not sure if they're still making them, but there's probably better choices in that same price range today.

For example, the Sennheiser HD280's are a fantastic choice for musicians IMO.

Sennheiser HD280

They're reasonably affordable at around $100 "street", and they're pretty rugged and durable. Isolation is really good, sound is more than decent, and they're very comfortable. They're sealed (closed-back) circumaural headphones though, so they'll cut you off from the world around you - if you need to maintain some situational awareness to the outside world, like when you're walking, biking, skateboarding or jogging and listening to your iPod, they're not a very good or safe choice. For that, a lightweight pair of supra-aural (the type that sit on the ear instead of surrounding it), open-back headphones would be a wiser choice.

The KRK KNS series are also really good all around musician's / studio headphones - I love the comfort of the KNS 8400, and they have very respectable isolation and very good sound too, although at about $150 "street", they're about $50 more expensive than the Sennheisers. 

KNS-8400

AKG makes some very good cans too, as do Audio Technica, Sony, and Beyerdynamic. But nearly all of them make headphones in different categories, and that are best suited to different purposes. You really need to consider what you want to do with the headphones first, then consider specific models that match your needs and intended uses.

• Members

i also have the audio-technica ath-M50... i don't have much experience with other headphones but i bought it cause of the good reviews and i'm glad i did... sometimes i have the headphone on for hours and it doesn't mess with my hearing so far...

Archived