Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOSS AC-3 "Hiss", Mod or Other Workaround?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS AC-3 "Hiss", Mod or Other Workaround?

Anyone know of any mod's to remove/reduce the hiss produced when turning the "top" knob on this pedal up to 1 o'clock or above?

Or, anyone figured out any workarounds for this problem, like using an additional pedal, like an EQ, before or after the AC-3?

Thanks!
    ---------------------------------

Good Trades with:
    munizfire

you could attempt dropping monte an email..
    http://www.monteallums.com/

he might be able to send you in the right direction or maybe even tell you exactly what the issue might be..

nice guy.
    2x4 Telecaster build - | - killer HC search

Comment

I'm very interested as well. The hiss makes it unuseable for me. And EQ pedal might work. The best solution I've found is running it through something with cabinet modeling... it seems to cut just enough of those highs, while still retaining the "acoustic" sizzle. I've run it through my Sansamp Liverpool (set to clean), and it cuts out the hiss, and thickens it up a bit; it sounds pretty decent. I've also tried it through the Sansamp Acoustic DI, which has some kind of tube pre modeling that kind of does the same thing.

But, I think I am just too much of an acoustic purist, if I want an acoustic sound, I just bring my acoustic guitar instead. But, the AC-3 can get some 3-dimensional clean sounds, which can be cool, as long as you get rid of the hiss.

Comment

you could attempt dropping monte an email..
        http://www.monteallums.com/

he might be able to send you in the right direction or maybe even tell you exactly what the issue might be..

nice guy.

Thanks - emailed him.

I'll post back here if he or any others I found say they've got a mod that's possible.

Good Trades with:
        munizfire

Comment

Thanks - emailed him.

I'll post back here if he or any others I found say they've got a mod that's possible.

Both Monte and Analog Man say that no mod is currently available, although they may or may not research and create one for it in the future.

Good Trades with:
          munizfire

Comment

This should help with that hiss...
            Originally Posted by primeholy

Nothing can get between kirk and his wah.

Comment

in the boss gt-fx, the AC is placed behind the EQ, but off course you can try out different places.

Comment

I used to have an AC-3 and had the same problem. What worked for me was to run the AC-3 into my Bad Monkey (Humphrey Audio mod) and the hiss was reduced almost to nothing. This did not seem to work for any other OD pedal that I ran it into. As long as I kept the BM on a clean setting the AC-3 sounded nice. I still have the BM but no AC-3. I have been thinking about picking up one.

Comment

I had all the versions of the AC pedals.. was never pleased with them and sold all of them. Tonally not very good and ridiculously noisy for something thats basically used for a clean/acoustic sound. I had such hopes each time that they'd get it right, but there's still issues there.

Comment

I had the several versions of the AC pedals.. was never pleased with them and sold all of them. Tonally not very good and ridiculously noisy for something thats basically used for a clean/acoustic sound. I had such hopes each time that they'd get it right, but there's still issues there.

Comment

I know that this is an old post but I have some input that could help.  I put the AC-3 at the front of the chain (Guitar, Wah, AC-3, Compression.. Noise...) and that fixed the hiss issue for me.  To be clear, I get the hiss with the compression in front of the AC-3 whether compression is on or not.

One weirdness - I am not using Boss wall warts and when I switched power supplies between the CS-3 and AC-3, the AC-3s light would not go off.  No change on the CS-3.  I rotated the power supplies so that the AC-3 had the same supply as before and all seems normal. 
                      Tomorrow I will be getting an NS-2 with the power daisy chain.  I will run the compressor and the AC-3 from that power and see if anything changes. 
                      I hope that this helps someone. 

Comment

Working...
                      X