OT - travel songwriting/recording rig

stevemcb

• Members

I travel a bit for work, and have just bought a cheap (

Requirements: As few pieces of equipment as possible (already have mics and phones, no monitors needed)SMALL (ideally would all fit in a laptop bag including ultrabook, bus powered USB interface with 2 in/out (must be 3.0 compatible), midi controller keyboard.

Budget: Around $400US excluding computer (which will be bought for/through work and will probably be a mac so Garageband will cover DAW duties)

Focusrite 2i2 + Akai MPK? Behringer UMA25S? Any other suggestions?

Steve

• Members

chrisjnyc wrote:

What are you recording?

Whatever spews out of my brain - which is likely to be pop/indie/rock.

Electric guitar (just bought a cheapo short scale to cut down and make a travel guitar out of), voice (if you can call it that), percussion perhaps, and some midi for drums/keys.

I'd also like to have it as a possible solution for recording jams or doing recording projects with friends, but not tracking drums - I have a setupa

The G3 is an interesting idea, but I want to be able to record mics in stereo if the need arises.

Mbox is a good idea - will keep an eye out for one used, but I think the ones with 2 preamps tend to be bigger than the Focusrite

Duet is firewire, and there is no firewire on the Macbook air.  I could take a gamble on a thunderbolt to firewire adapter...

Steve

Archived