Just built a Tone Bender MKII...

Dinosaur Sr.

• Members

Into a clean amp: Buzzy as crap. No dice.

Into a slightly dirty amp: Probably my favorite fuzz of all time. Texture changes tremendously with the volume knob. Doesn't clean up like a Fuzz Face, but you can go from light breakup to full-on fuzz territory and then some.  The Attack knob never cleans the sound up, even at its minimum, but every position is very usable to my ears.  Works well with single-coils and humbuckers, where I feel that my Fuzz Face tends to favor single-coils and fart out with humbuckers.

I'm sold, I have a feeling that this might kick a couple pedals off my board if the honeymoon lasts.

Been hunting for the fuzz tone in my head for a long, long time now, think this might be the one for me.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Members

I built one a couple of years ago using a Tonepad PCB and OC-77 transistors from Smallbear. Yeah, the gain knob on mine is nearly useless too, it's pretty fuzzed out with the gain all the way down. I haven't put it on my pedalboard because I need to fix the power adapter and LED wiring. :catindifferent: 

• Members

Dinosaur Sr. wrote:

Into a clean amp: Buzzy as crap. No dice.

Into a slightly dirty amp: Probably my favorite fuzz of all time. Texture changes tremendously with the volume knob. Doesn't clean up like a Fuzz Face, but you can go from light breakup to full-on fuzz territory and then some.  The Attack knob never cleans the sound up, even at its minimum, but every position is very usable to my ears.  Works well with single-coils and humbuckers, where I feel that my Fuzz Face tends to favor single-coils and fart out with humbuckers.

I'm sold, I have a feeling that this might kick a couple pedals off my board if the honeymoon lasts.

Been hunting for the fuzz tone in my head for a long, long time now, think this might be the one for me.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

nice. did you build it from a kit? if not, where'd you source the parts?

I'm interested in building one as well. I have a Rotosound Fuzz Ri on the way that's a variation on the circuit, can't wait to get it.

I just got a BSM Fuzzbender which is a Tonebender MKI and a Fuzzface switchable in the same pedal, sounds amazing.

• Members

nice. did you build it from a kit? if not, where'd you source the parts?

I'm interested in building one as well. I have a Rotosound Fuzz Ri on the way that's a variation on the circuit, can't wait to get it.

I just got a BSM Fuzzbender which is a Tonebender MKI and a Fuzzface switchable in the same pedal, sounds amazing.

No kit, I just found a random Veroboard layout online that looked good to me, sourced all the parts through Small Bear, minus the control knobs from Mammoth.  I used OC75 germaniums, only issue was that one of them got shattered in the mail, but Small Bear sent a replacement out without a fuss.

Archived