JHS Double Barrel problem

tdk8709

• Members

I will preface this by saying that I have contacted JHS and recieved the answer that "It could be a number of things" and to "Send it in for them to take a look at". If I have to send it in, I first need to replace it with something as it is my main drive, and if I have to do that, I'm just going to replace it, ditch the headache, and not pay for them to tell me it's not their pedals fault (which would be unfortunate as it gets the sounds I want). So I'm looking to trouble shoot it myself if possible.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help with a problem I am having with my jHS Double Barrel. I am getting a pretty loud signal popping when I engage and disengage the right side (TS side). It hasn't always done this, but started a couple weeks ago. I power it with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power.

I have tried using different power supplies, bought new power cables, checked all of my patch cables, then completely took it off the board and just ran it straight to the amp and still got the popping. Ive tried it with a few different amps, as well as multiple guitars, and at several venues.

Any help with getting rid of this popping would be appreciated, as I absolutely love this dirt box but can't really use it live or recording at the moment because of this problem.

• Members

just a few ideas.

corroded or loose contacts (sig-in/out or switches)

leaky inline caps ... pops are often the sudeen change in DC levels caused by failing caps.

failing SS components...many will make a 'pop' if a junction is failing.

failing resistors - again, when failing, smal arcs/shorts can happen

so, basically, any number of things

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Interesting. I think sometimes these added buffers do more harm than good. I have a boost/buffer pedal, and it pops loudly on its own, so it's also not on my board. In the end, I just didn't find it did much good, other than add additional volume. The buffer feature on it mess up fuzzes more than it helped. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I just got one today and don't have the popping sound, but both sides of the pedal generate audible hiss, even with all knobs at 12 o'clock.  It gets worse as I turn up the gain or the tone control.  None of my other overdrives have this issue: CMAT Mods Butah and Signa Drive, Rockett Pedals Blue Note, and Way Huge Green Rhino.  And when I kick on more than one of those to boost the crunch, still no noise.  Am wondering if the pedal is defective in some way or if other JHS pedals tend to have hiss problems.  I found the same issue with Amptweaker's Tightdrive - really hissy.

Archived