How to a distorted echo

• Members

Hello all. Anyone have any tips on getting a good biting distortion on just the echo from my Arion Sad -3.

I know it's not a true delay but I use it for its warm, tape-like, spaced out slapback echo effect.

I want to have distortion just on the echo not on the main signal.

I can do it in the studio using Pro Tools, etc. but it's in a live setting I'm concerned with.

Is there a way to do it without needing a second amp?

Thanks

• Members

If the SAD-3 lets you run one output dry and the other 100% wet (I know the SCH-1 can do that), you can distort the delay signal separately from the dry signal. Then you need some way to mix the two together.

The Boss LS-2 can do this trick. Set it to A+B Mix/Bypass mode, leave one of the loops empty (this will be the dry path) and connect the delay + overdrive (or whatever you're using to distort the delay with) in the other loop. Make sure the delay only outputs delay signal. Then you can use the gain controls on the LS-2 to set the dry/wet mix, and turn the delay on/off.

• Members

starmansam wrote:

I see it has 2 outputs. i don't suppose they are wet and dry outs are they? that would make what you want to do way easier.

If the SAD-3 is like the SAD-1 then they are stereo outs, and not even ping pong, just phase-inverted to give that fake surround effect you get on TVs.

Archived