NPDx2- JMK Comp, EHX Freeze

dkerwood

• Members

Happy NPD to me!!!  Here are some "first impression" reviews.

Well, you know how it goes.  When I had a compressor, it got pulled off my board because I wasn't using it.  As soon as I flipped it, I started wanting that color again... and so the cycle continues.  :-) The first of my two new pedals is a JMK limited edition white compressor.  It's just a one knob jobber, ala the Orange Squeezer, so there's not a lot of tweakability here.  Great sounding compression, though- very subtle and transparent, even when turned up fairly high.  That's good, because I tend to overcompress until I don't like the sound anymore and then kick it off my board, flip it and... well, you get the picture.  The top mounted jacks are another nice feature, because I have plenty of vertical space on my board... horizontal space is at a premium. Groovy.

Pedal #2 is the EHX Freeze.  I knew I wanted to try one for a while, and on first glace, I really like it.  Gets some cool organ-like tones, and it's incredibly intuitive how to coax different tones out of it.  I love how it can snag the transients and high overtones off the initial attack and sustain THOSE, making an ethereal tone that no guitar could really produce.  I'm almost drooling thinking about how this will sound in the middle of my board- dirt running into it, modulation and delay coloring it after...  Good stuff.  I was worried that operating it in latch mode might be difficult- specifically turning it off.  By itself, not a big deal at all.  Since it will have to live on the second row of my board, we'll see if the double tap is a little more challenging.  As of right now, though, the options are pretty inspiring.

That's my "first impression" review of these guys.  Feel free to add your thoughts below.

• Members

Got to play with them on my board. The Freeze is brilliant. I have it after gain pedals and before modulation- a touch of trem with the Freeze is gorgeous, and the Freeze is really useful with the Particle Verb on my M9.

I really like the comp as well, although the footswitch is a little touchy. I need to get in there with contact cleaner.

Archived