I may be a PRS convert

IRG

• Members

So last week, I got a new PRS SE 245, really good deal on it to, about $450 new. It was a 2012 leftover stock, and personally I like the color on it better than what they have now, it's called Tortoise Shell.

Anyway, this thing just is incredibly nice. It looks nice, feels so good, the tone is quite good even with stock pickups. It comes with .9s on it, and I may just keep them this way, as I seem to be able to play faster, and longer.  I also love how thick this guitar is, like a Les Paul. I had an older Tremonti Singlecut before, and that one seemed a bit toy like. Not the 245. It's a beast.  In fact I like it so much, I want another PRS. Might sell both my Epi Tribute which I have previously loved up until now, and my Gibson SG. Both fine guitars, but the PRS just plays better and sounds as good. I might get the SE Custom 24 which also now has the beveled top which is quite sexy, and split coils.

I know PRS ain't as popular has, for rich dudes, and all that. But that's bull{censored}. For an under $500 guitar, it will rival just about anything. Wish I could afford the Maryland versions, maybe some day. But this is a nice git as is, and maybe I'll modify the pickups, dunno yet. Not my pic, from ebay, but this is the one. Oh, also got a new Fender Humboldt Blues Jr. and that is kick ass as well. Photos of both soon.

PRS SE 245.JPGPRS SE 245 v2.JPG

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

goodhonk wrote:

your black keys riffs are gunna sound weird on that guitar; howver, your creed riffs will be spot on.

Ah, I was wondering how long the Creed reference would take to pop up. You have not disappointed me :)

• Members

TomVanDeven wrote:

For sub $500, that's a nice guitar. I think the problem people have with PRSi aside from the lame artist references are the crazy high prices.

Happy NGD man, enjoy it!

Thanks TVD. I would agree, but their USA line is in the same range as Gibson and Fender stuff, especially when you compare some of the CS stuff. Gibson is now offering some sub $1k offerings, but their quality has been questionable at times. Whereas the SE line has come up in quality. But yeah the USA models don't offer much under $2k for the most part. Looking on ebay though, they seem to hold their value better than most brands.

• Members

I don't like prs guitars for the sane reason I don't like Taylor: machine made. Soulless, tacky, over the top pieces of furniture.

To get more specific, prs necks are far too thin for me, and since they are made by machine, they are all exactly the same. No variation. Boring.

Taylor guitars are just as bad. The only Taylor I've ever played that I liked was a gs mini at my store. And we are a Taylor dealer, we have everything. I hate it all. Eastman kills them.

But happy new guitar day!

• Members

echodeluxe wrote:

I don't like prs guitars for the sane reason I don't like Taylor: machine made. Soulless, tacky, over the top pieces of furniture.

To get more specific, prs necks are far too thin for me, and since they are made by machine, they are all exactly the same. No variation. Boring.

Taylor guitars are just as bad. The only Taylor I've ever played that I liked was a gs mini at my store. And we are a Taylor dealer, we have everything. I hate it all. Eastman kills them.

But happy new guitar day!

You just made me realize that PRS is like the Taylor of electric guitars. Or maybe Taylor is the PRS is acoustic guitars, either way they have basically the same vibe: usually tacky looking and fairly generic playing/sounding guitars built to "modern" specs that are stereotypically owned by people that attract a lot of hate. I see (and share, btw) the same opinions both companies from both sides of the playing world. It's kind of spooky.

• Members

carrier street wrote:

I had a PRS custom 24 at my house for like a week, and it was an amazing player. HOWEVER, my credz aren't high enough to play one ironically, and I'm incredibly shallow.

Ahhh. I'm sure you have the credz to play it wherever you want to :)   Was this a USA version? I was never quite a fan of that body style, but now I'm really liking it. The Studio and 408 seem really cool too.

• Members

DISCLAIMER:  I DO NOT LISTEN TO CREED/SANTANA.

Now...I completly understand not liking the high prices and the transparent finishes with the maple top visible, but the rest of the PRS hate in here seems pretty absurb.

- The play great

- They sound great

- They are made from high quality parts

- The quality control is amazing

And not liking the consitency of the necks because the a machine is spec'd for consistancy?  What guitars are you buying that DON'T do that for a reasonable price?!  I think PRS is cool to hate on because most you guys don't own them and label them as "lawyer guitars" and think that somehow hating on them earns you indie cred or something.  Sheesh...

Oh, and even though I don't really like most they're finishes, the ones I do like tend to be some of my favorite guitars asthetically.  I really dig the body shape on PRS guitars as well.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/jsburton/Things/Guitars/Paul%20Reed%20Smith/2000%20CU22%20EMERALD/a1ff0a05.jpg

• Members

Nice guitar. I bought a 2011 Singlecut Korina in January last year. It is as well built and plays as well as any American guitar I have ever owned, including my 2005 2oth Anniversary Custom 24. Excellent freatwork and finish, and plays in tune all the way up the neck.

Lots of the comments on here? Yawn. It's always the same...the folks who come on here and bash PRS guitars share two traits: 1. They have never really played one. 2. They can't afford one. Go back and play your Squier through your Line 6 Spider.

• Members

You're right that I can't afford one, but I've played a few and never been impressed.  My old guitar tutor had a Custom 22 that I played a lot and it never felt worth even half the money - then again, they probably cost less in the states than they do here.  But back when I could afford one (pre-marriage!), I chose not to buy one based on experience.

• Members

CloverdaleBand wrote:

Nice guitar. I bought a 2011 Singlecut Korina in January last year. It is as well built and
plays
as well as any American guitar I have ever owned, including my 2005 2oth Anniversary Custom 24. Excellent freatwork and finish, and plays in tune all the way up the neck.

Lots of the comments on here? Yawn. It's always the same...the folks who come on here and bash PRS guitars share two traits: 1. They have never really played one. 2. They can't afford one. Go back and play your Squier through your Line 6 Spider.

Yeah, I've played one. Yeah, I've owned one. Still doesn't make me like them. 

Archived