Top 10 Best Selling Pedals of 1988

MetalChimp

• Members

Found this guitar magazine from October 1988 in the mess I call a room. Check it!

1. Digitech PDS 1002

2. Boss DD-3

3. Boss CE-2

4. Boss HM-2

5. DOD FX-65

6. Pro Co Rat

7. DOD FX-56

8. Boss MZ-2

9. Boss ME-5

10. t.c. Chorus Flanger

(fine print on the page says the chart "was put together through a random sampling of 250 music dealers from the top 40 major markets in the country")

• Members

that's the 80's for you! chorus, flange, delay and high-gain for shredding. jeez..

is there a list for the 90's anywhere? i'm guessing big muffs and other EH stuff make the jump into the top 5

I doubt it, I think Boss delays, chorus and metal zone pedals.

• Members

that's the 80's for you! chorus, flange, delay and high-gain for shredding. jeez..

is there a list for the 90's anywhere? i'm guessing big muffs and other EH stuff make the jump into the top 5

As much as EH and the boutiques get talked up here, the fx market is still the house that Boss built, and I'd expect that sales in the 80's, 90's and 2000's, will reflect this.

• Members

2. Boss DD-3

3. Boss CE-2

6. Pro Co Rat

10. t.c. Chorus Flanger

Originally Posted by
Gambit

Yeah, the 80's sucked! :poke: We never talk about or use those effects now! :lol: The above 4 pedals still receive alot of discussion here, 20 years later. That's the 2000's for you! :p

• Members

I double checked, and it does say ce-2. Must have been a misprint.

I think Boss officially pulled the CE2 from their catalog in 1982, but I think they made them a few more years after that. I don't think this is the only pedal they've done it with, either. Now if they made them for an additional 6 more years, that does seem like a stretch.

• Members

I think Boss officially pulled the CE2 from their catalog in 1982, but I think they made them a few more years after that. I don't think this is the only pedal they've done it with, either. Now if they made them for an additional 6 more years, that does seem like a stretch.

according to www.bossarea.com the CE-2 was being made/sold until 1990 (or maybe even later).

"Roland says that they stopped marketing the CE-2 November 1982. The pedal was however still produced and sold at least [until] 1990. The label changed from black to green 1984. The CE-2 was produced in Japan up until 1988 when production moved to Taiwan."

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Yeah the 80s did suck. Everyone was going digital. Crappy digital rack systems to replace all your pedals.

Early digital reverb -THE HORROR!

I was one of those weirdos buying 60s gear in the 80s. It was DIRT CHEAP then.

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the emergence of FET switched pedals - Boss and DOD especially - put a lot of pedal companies out of business from a period of the mid-80s to mid-90s.  EHX disappeared in like 83' or something and didn't show up again until the russian big muffs showed up. MXR disappeared until Dunlop resurrected the name. Danelectro, Line 6 etc.. didn't exist yet.  

Basically, Boss, DOD/Digitech and Ibanez were the only things that existed and ProCo was kind of a weird holdout.

• Members

EHX went bust because union action brought the company to a standstill for weeks (maybe months?) and it wasn't able to recover. Not sure about MXR, but I think they were just out priced by the Japanese stuff that started to emerge, which as I understand was like the "Made in the PRC" of the day.

• Members

M900 wrote:

As much as EH and the boutiques get talked up here, the fx market is still the house that Boss built, and I'd expect that sales in the 80's, 90's and 2000's, will reflect this.

Kudos. I agree. Most of my musician friends do not hang out here and even with the influx of semi boutique brands showing up on GC shelves Boss and DOD are the two brands most musicians associate pedals with.

Archived