which gauge strings do you prefer,

riff ie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With electric guitar, I like .10-.46; anything smaller just feels and sounds too thin to me. I've been thinking about trying .11s because I play acoustic more and am more used to .12s, but I've been too lazy to try. As far as scale length goes, it doesn't affect what gauge I use at all.

On a funny and completely unrelated note, when I ran this post through spell check, it suggested that I change ".11" and ".12" to "ass." What the hell is up with that?

• Members

It very much depends on the guitar.  Nothing less than 12-52 on Jazzmaster.  Nothing less than 13-54 on a Jag.  My Tele has 10-52, which I'm very happy with.  Not a fan of light wound strings, plain strings just depend on how you want to play - to bend a lot or not to bend a lot.

• Members

25.5 scale: Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52.
Standard, 1/2 down, 1 down - dropped (drop C).

I have used EB Beefy Slinky for down tuned drop B, or B standard tuning (like a 7 string but normal 3rd tuning on 2nd string)

Thinking about going a little lighter and only using the 52 and 42 on low E and A cause I bend with just my pinkie sometimes, in drop tuning (bend a 9th up to minor/major 3rd), and it locks up, hurts like hell.

GEAR RIGHT NOW: Digitech GNX3 (borrowed), {censored}ty Randall rg15xm 15w practice amp, Fender Starcaster. My knockoff Vee and franken-strat (unknown strat body, kramer neck) sold to pawn shop :(

Surprisingly the single coils sound good with high gain as long as I dial down the treble and use a noise gate.

Archived