Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

which gauge strings do you prefer,

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which gauge strings do you prefer,

on scale 25"1/2 , opposed to 24"3/4, and if your into all the 24"/25"/24"1/2, let it be known, just the same...

changes come w/ the whether...

11-52

Comment

• Lou Speed's Alt
      Lou Speed's Alt commented
      Editing a comment

12 - 50 something. forget exactly. 54? 56? on my strat

11 - 52? forget again on LP and country gent

• Pedaltones
      Pedaltones commented
      Editing a comment

10-42 on 25.5" and 25" scales

With electric guitar, I like .10-.46; anything smaller just feels and sounds too thin to me. I've been thinking about trying .11s because I play acoustic more and am more used to .12s, but I've been too lazy to try. As far as scale length goes, it doesn't affect what gauge I use at all.

On a funny and completely unrelated note, when I ran this post through spell check, it suggested that I change ".11" and ".12" to "ass." What the hell is up with that?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><u><b>Spam:</b></u><br />
    Peavey Classic 30 - <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2771476-Peavey-Classic-30&amp;p=42751063#post42751063" target="_blank">http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063</a></div>

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

all the sudden mothererfucjer got a problem w/ 11, and all yos'...

10s because they have a nice blend of tension and ease of playing.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Guitars:<br><br>G&amp;L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy<br><br>Fender 50th Anniversary Strat, Classic 50s Telecaster, and others.<br><br><br><br>Pedals:<br><br>Pitchblack&g t;EP Booster&gt;Classic 108 Fuzz&gt; SD-1&gt;OCD&gt;Keeley Rat&gt;Hoof&gt;DLS MKiii&gt;Small Stone&gt;TR-2&gt;Flashback&gt;Spring Theory<br><br><br><br>Amp:<br><br>Peavey Delta Blues<br><br></font></div>

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

reverberlayed wrote:
      10s because they have a nice blend of tension and ease of playing.

agreed, yet i've been playin' w/9's as of last due to the VIKING disease, don't let it bring you down it's only shazbot yernin...

11's. I tried going back to 10's and it felt like playing with thread.

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

a bunch of fierce thick fingerd' sums', as of so. I played 11's through the past two decades, yet unovidable obstuction, has caused relent in the aformentioned...

24 3/4 10-46
    25 1/2 11-52

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

AngelofHop wrote:
      24 3/4 10-46
      25 1/2 11-52

this is all yos'...supamuthafuka...

11-52 for me.

Comment

It very much depends on the guitar.  Nothing less than 12-52 on Jazzmaster.  Nothing less than 13-54 on a Jag.  My Tele has 10-52, which I'm very happy with.  Not a fan of light wound strings, plain strings just depend on how you want to play - to bend a lot or not to bend a lot.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with: woolyh, kaz2550, fruvai, english_bob, daysofspeed, gambit, matchpoint (twice), SilenceSketches.</div>

Comment

• riff ie
        riff ie commented
        Editing a comment

****************i mean ass string minders abound...

10-46 are my babies.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Trebuchet MS"><font size="1"><font color="#996633">Smooth deals with: <i>duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookie</i><br><br></font><font color="tan">Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster<br>Gibson 2013 SG Standard<br>Fender Deville III 4x10<br><b><i>Oh Henry!</i></b> chocolate bars<br>Pedals n' stuff</font></font></font><br><br><b><a href="http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com</a></b><br><br><br></div>

Comment

10-46 on either 25.5" or 24.75"

Comment

I use a wierd set. 24, 32, 42 flatwound Daddario or Thomastik strings for the wound strings. I then use eiter Dunlop or Daddario 9, 12 & 16/17 for the plain on both my Strat and LP.

&quot;My ego only needs a good rhythm section&quot; - Miles Davis

Comment

10-46 on 24", 24-3/4", and 21".
            13-53 on my 25" jazz box.

Comment

• ChuckNorris1982
              ChuckNorris1982 commented
              Editing a comment

12-60 for me.  Strat tuned B to B.

25.5 scale: Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52.
            Standard, 1/2 down, 1 down - dropped (drop C).

I have used EB Beefy Slinky for down tuned drop B, or B standard tuning (like a 7 string but normal 3rd tuning on 2nd string)

Thinking about going a little lighter and only using the 52 and 42 on low E and A cause I bend with just my pinkie sometimes, in drop tuning (bend a 9th up to minor/major 3rd), and it locks up, hurts like hell.

GEAR RIGHT NOW: Digitech GNX3 (borrowed), ****************ty Randall rg15xm 15w practice amp, Fender Starcaster. My knockoff Vee and franken-strat (unknown strat body, kramer neck) sold to pawn shop

Surprisingly the single coils sound good with high gain as long as I dial down the treble and use a noise gate.

GEAR:<br>Digitech GNX3 (borrowed)<br>Randall RG15XM 15w practice amp<br>Fender Starcaster<br><br>METAL + SINGLE COILS / P90'S = AWESOME<br>

Comment

Working...
            X