X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which gauge strings do you prefer,

on scale 25"1/2 , opposed to 24"3/4, and if your into all the 24"/25"/24"1/2, let it be known, just the same...

changes come w/ the whether...

11-52

Comment

• Lou Speed's Alt
      Lou Speed's Alt commented
      Editing a comment

12 - 50 something. forget exactly. 54? 56? on my strat

11 - 52? forget again on LP and country gent

• Pedaltones
      Pedaltones commented
      Editing a comment

10-42 on 25.5" and 25" scales

With electric guitar, I like .10-.46; anything smaller just feels and sounds too thin to me. I've been thinking about trying .11s because I play acoustic more and am more used to .12s, but I've been too lazy to try. As far as scale length goes, it doesn't affect what gauge I use at all.

On a funny and completely unrelated note, when I ran this post through spell check, it suggested that I change ".11" and ".12" to "ass." What the hell is up with that?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><u><b>Spam:</b></u><br />
    Peavey Classic 30 - <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2771476-Peavey-Classic-30&amp;p=42751063#post42751063" target="_blank">http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063</a></div>

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

all the sudden mothererfucjer got a problem w/ 11, and all yos'...

10s because they have a nice blend of tension and ease of playing.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Guitars:<br><br>G&amp;L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy<br><br>Fender 50th Anniversary Strat, Classic 50s Telecaster, and others.<br><br><br><br>Pedals:<br><br>Pitchblack&g t;EP Booster&gt;Classic 108 Fuzz&gt; SD-1&gt;OCD&gt;Keeley Rat&gt;Hoof&gt;DLS MKiii&gt;Small Stone&gt;TR-2&gt;Flashback&gt;Spring Theory<br><br><br><br>Amp:<br><br>Peavey Delta Blues<br><br></font></div>

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

reverberlayed wrote:
      10s because they have a nice blend of tension and ease of playing.

agreed, yet i've been playin' w/9's as of last due to the VIKING disease, don't let it bring you down it's only shazbot yernin...

11's. I tried going back to 10's and it felt like playing with thread.

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

a bunch of fierce thick fingerd' sums', as of so. I played 11's through the past two decades, yet unovidable obstuction, has caused relent in the aformentioned...

24 3/4 10-46
    25 1/2 11-52

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

AngelofHop wrote:
      24 3/4 10-46
      25 1/2 11-52

this is all yos'...supamuthafuka...

11-52 for me.

Comment

It very much depends on the guitar.  Nothing less than 12-52 on Jazzmaster.  Nothing less than 13-54 on a Jag.  My Tele has 10-52, which I'm very happy with.  Not a fan of light wound strings, plain strings just depend on how you want to play - to bend a lot or not to bend a lot.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with: woolyh, kaz2550, fruvai, english_bob, daysofspeed, gambit, matchpoint (twice), SilenceSketches.</div>

Comment

• riff ie
        riff ie commented
        Editing a comment

****************i mean ass string minders abound...

10-46 are my babies.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Trebuchet MS"><font size="1"><font color="#996633">Smooth deals with: <i>duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookie</i><br><br></font><font color="tan">Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster<br>Gibson 2013 SG Standard<br>Fender Deville III 4x10<br><b><i>Oh Henry!</i></b> chocolate bars<br>Pedals n' stuff</font></font></font><br><br><b><a href="http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com</a></b><br><br><br></div>

Comment

10-46 on either 25.5" or 24.75"

Comment

I use a wierd set. 24, 32, 42 flatwound Daddario or Thomastik strings for the wound strings. I then use eiter Dunlop or Daddario 9, 12 & 16/17 for the plain on both my Strat and LP.

&quot;My ego only needs a good rhythm section&quot; - Miles Davis

Comment

10-46 on 24", 24-3/4", and 21".
            13-53 on my 25" jazz box.

Comment

• ChuckNorris1982
              ChuckNorris1982 commented
              Editing a comment

12-60 for me.  Strat tuned B to B.

25.5 scale: Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52.
            Standard, 1/2 down, 1 down - dropped (drop C).

I have used EB Beefy Slinky for down tuned drop B, or B standard tuning (like a 7 string but normal 3rd tuning on 2nd string)

Thinking about going a little lighter and only using the 52 and 42 on low E and A cause I bend with just my pinkie sometimes, in drop tuning (bend a 9th up to minor/major 3rd), and it locks up, hurts like hell.

GEAR RIGHT NOW: Digitech GNX3 (borrowed), ****************ty Randall rg15xm 15w practice amp, Fender Starcaster. My knockoff Vee and franken-strat (unknown strat body, kramer neck) sold to pawn shop

Surprisingly the single coils sound good with high gain as long as I dial down the treble and use a noise gate.

GEAR:<br>Digitech GNX3 (borrowed)<br>Randall RG15XM 15w practice amp<br>Fender Starcaster<br><br>METAL + SINGLE COILS / P90'S = AWESOME<br>

Comment

Working...
            X