If I sell my Epi Tribute LP, keep the '57's in it, or take them out?

IRG

• Members

Since I got the PRS 245 which I really like, I've decided I might try and sell my Epi Tribute LP. It comes stock with Gibson '57's in it, with the nice coil tap feature. I was thinking about putting these in the PRS, and the PRS pickups in the Epi. The 245 pickups are pretty good btw. But covered '57s in the PRS would look cool, and likely sound a bit better. If I were to sell the Epi on CL, I think the price would be about $475 (they're $600 new), or $375 with the PRS pickups in it. Do those price sound fair? Keep the Epi stock, or swap out pickups? Not meaning to spam here either, I'll likely sell locally so I don't have to deal with shipping.

• Members

I think the value of that Epiphone goes way down if you take out the 57s.

The 57s are really the main reason why someone would be interested in that particular Epiphone Les Paul. They're a big selling point of the guitar... anyone searching for that guitar is most likely looking for one because of the pickups.

Take out the pickups and all those people searching for it are going to be a lot less interested.

Leave the 57s in and really get to know the PRS pickups a bit better before you swap them.

• Members

Zappa74 wrote:

I think the value of that Epiphone goes way down if you take out the 57s.

The 57s are really the main reason why someone would be interested in that particular Epiphone Les Paul. They're a big selling point of the guitar... anyone searching for that guitar is most likely looking for one because of the pickups.

Take out the pickups and all those people searching for it are going to be a lot less interested.

Leave the 57s in and really get to know the PRS pickups a bit better before you swap them.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking too. The stock 245 pickups are good. Was thinking of a set of DiMarzio 36th Pafs in there too.

• Members

I'd just leave the 57's in so the buyer feels more like they're getting a unique and upgraded instrument, then sell the stock pickups to somebody who will get good use out of them in a project guitar. That saves you the time of swapping them back out, and you have the option of either buying another set of 57's or trying something completely new.

Archived