I want an EMS Synthi HiFli

bieke

• Members

for years now ...

there was one on e-bay belgium about a year ago, it was put there by a zero feedback seller, and the auction stayed there for a couple of hours and then it was gone, I offered 800$ but never heard back from the seller, he probably got a better offer and went ahead with the sale ...

I never found another one for sale

Jacques has one, but I doubt if he's selling it, he got it from a friend on permanent loan, which reminds me, I better check if he's not selling it ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got a reply from that HiFli clone builder !

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the recipient has been delayed.

:mad:

• Members

here's a close-up of that Compact A phaser (a german old school phaser used by Klaus Schulze and Kraftwerk and original ones getting rare and expensive, 500$ for a good one or so, but I hope to find one cheap one day, preferably sitting next to an EMS Synthi HiFli that is thrown in for free, hasn't happened yet)

compact_clone1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by digital

:o

you didn't offer your body again, did you?... i'll let you know if i should see one...

:D

heheh, no, I never do on a first encounter, for all I know he could be a german gump, after all he did release an album called

tiny_HIP_sleeve.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by puretube

I`ll ask the guy that handed me an original (orange) Schulte

for repair, whether he wants to sell it...

thanks! if it's in good condition, I've seen people pay up to 400

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

i hope you find one. Chuck Zwicky once owned a synthi (not hi-fli, tho) and is still sad that he sold it.

he should be , these things are so rare nowadays

there were several Synthi models, starting from Synthi A which was 189

• 3 years later...
  • Members

the guy who designed the Hi-Fli, david cockerell??, basically designed the EH Microsynth. i believe the story is that the hi-fli singlehandedly almost bankrupted ems. cockerell later went to work for mike matthews, and at that point technology had advanced to make an affordable/cost-effective version.

i emailed back and forth with a guy who owns one--and he said there's a lot of similiarities betwee the hi-fli and microsynth. i believe the biggest difference is the filter modulation section (which is absent from the EH). anyhow--here's his explaination:

The synthi hi fli is capable of the typical modulation sounds but it has its own twist to it. It was designed by David Cockerell, famed for his designs with Electro Harmonix. The synthi can produce tremelo, phase filter, flange,top boost, ring mod, waa-waa, wah wah, and something called MEOW, octave shift, gated delays, gated everything. The fuzz sounds great , all effects very usuable in my opinion. The effects mentioned can be either be triggered auatomatically or controlled on a foot pedal

There are many knobs that turn clockwise or counter clockwise, sliders, switches:

Summary of controls and effects:left to right on unit.

Top Boost: Provides up to 30 db boost of high frequencies, cimpensated to give constant perceived loudness.

Octave Shift:It drops the pitch by an actave when the slider is up

Buzz Switch:Adds high frequencies overtones to the sub-octave signal.

Ring Mod: This section produces an output an octabe above the input when a sinle note is played, and the characteristic "ring mod" effect when 2 strings are played.

Decay Rate: The rotary control affects the decay time of the ring mod and octave shift signal level.

Sustain Fuzz: In this section special circuits detect the beginning and end of each note, and apply upper harmonics.

Attack Rate: A rotary control varies the rise time of Sustained Fuzz signal. Notes can be sustained even though the original signal has dropped by more than 20db.

Pedal Switches. The switches under the sliders combine the pedal control with the manual sliders. Selections of switches with pre-set slider positions enable the pedal to change treatments instantly.

Solo/Strum: This switch alters the Hi-Fli's sensitivity to signal attacks and should be set to more sensitive for single notes (i.e solo).

Bypass Mix Fader: This central slider controls the mix of the original and treated sound. In the high position only the input pre-amplifier is in-circuit. The bypass footswitch gives instant access to this position. The output from the Octave {censored}ft, Ring Modulator and Fuzz Sustain sections are re-combined and go to the phase filter and modulator section.

Control Modulation Selector: This knoob can be set in 6 positions

Treatment Selector: There are six distinct modes of operation:-- Vibrato, two modes of Phasing, normal WAA-WAA(1 resonant peak) , WAW-WAW (six resonant peaks) a completely new sound, and finally MEOW (two sets of three resonant peaks moving in oppisite directions-really flippin wild!!

Modulation Speed: This slider operates in the first 4 positions of the control modulation selector, proviving a fine frequency control.

Modulation Ramp Time: Operates in positions 3 to 6 of the conrol modulation selector.

Modulation Depth: Controls the depth of modulation applied to the phase filter

Frequency shift: This controls the frequency domain in which the modulation waveform operates, being central for symmetrical modulation.

L.E.D selectors: Two light emitting diodes show the movement of the modulation waveform.

So these are the basis of switches and buttons and what function they perform, its a hard unit to learn and you can leave the switches in the same place with a great f#$%ing sound and turn it on again tomorrow and its doing something different , it really has a mind of its own. Defenately ahead of its time in my honest opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived