NPD - Blakemore Effects Custom Shop

gambit

• Members

Knowing Blake makes good pedals, i decided to take a punt on this pedal when it came up on ebay this week with a pretty vague item description..

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NFgxNjAw/z/LS4AAMXQzB5RBX0T/$(KGrHqZHJBIFBI3+3cfgBRB(0TPJng~~60_3.JPG

i knew it was a Rat-type pedal with a dry/wet mix (normally a knob mounted on the side of the pedal) but that was about it. no clipping options on the usual mini-toggle either..

i am massively impressed! :)

here's the controls (i'm not sure Blake could even recall what was on this when i asked a few days ago):

- the gain and volume are standard.

- the small knob on the right is the Filter knob you'd normally get on a Rat.

- the small knob on the left is the dry/wet mix.

- centre knob seems to change the clipping.

what suprised me was the dry/wet knob was a little bit crackly, so i tried to work it a bit.. and a second later the knob pulls up.. its a push/pull knob!! haha.. IN = standard Rat, OUT = Ruetz mod sounds. excellent little suprise!

also, the dry/wet knob and volume work together so much better than any other overdrives i've used with that option. 100% dry with volume at zero is the same as bypassed clean signal. and ramping the mix up to noon the dry signal doesn't drop off in volume - bring up the volume knob and here cones the distortion added along side the dry signal. perfect. and how dry/wet mixes should work.

anyway, i got a lot more than i expected and there's plenty of sounds going on. built well, superbly executed design. well done Blake!

• Members

should also add, the left knob is usually a bass filter, but that's not missed because the pedal doesn't lose any bass when on.

i A/B'd versus a big-box reissue Rat. got 90% there but the bass cut on the Rat was probably the difference between them.

on the Blakemore, with the gain cranked and clipping knob in different places there's some fairly pronounced overtones like you get in some octave (up) fuzz pedals.. or a Fender Blender maybe.. so playing up high on the neck those overtones jump out. moreso than on the Rat. pretty interesting.

i'll make a video this weekend.

• Members

lol. thats my old custom shop rat :D 

i donated it to BOTB or the cancer raffle, cant remember which. shipped it to a forumite in the UK. lol he said he was going to donate it to a friend/charity or something because he had no need for a rat. i suppose gambit can be considered charity :catlol:

it has a push/pull pot that switches on turbo rat clipping diodes. ruetz mod/filter knob in the middle. the clean blend on the left. vol + gain knobs plus a tone mini knob on the right. well done on figuring things out without any kind of manual

YMMV :D

• Members

ha! amazing.. it's a complete keeper for me, as i was using dual signal paths for clean/dirty (not including my drone part of the pedalboard) abd this should cover everything i need now.

with dry/wet around 60/40 i'm adding overdrive/jangle and lead sound for my delay-heavy playing style and with a delay before it i can go over the edge with distorted delays that still stay clear with the dry mix

Archived