Sound City

juri

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Faldoe

View Post

speaking of which; have you played or owned a Sound City amp? thoughts in terms of it comparing to a Hiwatt???

I've played a couple. a PA head that was relatively hiwatt-ish tonewise, but it was hard to really tell in the store. The other was a ONe Hundred--which I believe was built by David Reeves, it was basically the same as the CP103 that Townshend used. Really cool amp.

• Members

I think pretty much anything Dave Grohl touches is worth checking out, he always puts so much energy and passion in to what he does. Plus, I love his philosophy on music that it should be played by people and it doesn't matter if you don't sound perfect all the time. I will always support DG.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Faldoe

View Post

speaking of which; have you played or owned a Sound City amp? thoughts in terms of it comparing to a Hiwatt???

L100

Very much like Hiwatt. THE Sound City but hard to find and getting up there in price.

50+

Similar to Hiwatt. Very good amp and still reasonably inexpensive.

L120

Not very Hiwatt like. Active tone controls. Big, loud and clean for the most part. Beast of a power section (6 x EL34's eek.gif).

L120backoffhead.jpg

Massive iron

IMGP0147.jpg

My old L120 halfstack

I used to get some really good crunch from it with the channels jumpered and turned up to 6 or better. You had to run the tone controls high to get it cooking because of the fact that they are active.

L120HALFSTACK.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Riffraff12571

View Post

L100

Very much like Hiwatt. THE Sound City but hard to find and getting up there in price.

50+

Similar to Hiwatt. Very good amp and still reasonably inexpensive.

L120

Not very Hiwatt like. Active tone controls. Big, loud and clean for the most part. Beast of a power section (6 x EL34's eek.gif).

L120backoffhead.jpg

Massive iron

IMGP0147.jpg

My old L120 halfstack

I used to get some really good crunch from it with the channels jumpered and turned up to 6 or better. You had to run the tone controls high to get it cooking because of the fact that they are active.

L120HALFSTACK.jpg

Thanks! I've seen the 120s for sale but not the 100s. I'll keep an eye out

• 1 month later...

Archived