No Sound from New Keeley Compressor - Broken or Stupid?!

paul_mitchell

• Members

I finally decided to pick up the Keeley 4 knob compressor after my boss pedal died. I patiently waited all day for USPS to arrive and I scrambled to hear the new compressor. I plug it it and... nothing. Nothing at all.

I have a Baggs Anthem pickup in an acoustic guitar:

Baggs PU -> Keeley Compressor -> Mackie Mixer -> Mackie HR824

I pulled my Baggs Venue preamp out of the mix to try to simplify points of failure.

I tried swapping the battery, using a Boss power supply, swapping cables, adjusting every knob in every possible way and I'm unable to get a sound when the compressor is engaged (and the blue light is on). When I turn off the compressor I get my nice sounding guitar to play through the system. But for the life of me I can't figure out if I'm missing something (I've read the instruction sheet 3 times) or if it's broken.

I'll call Keeley on Monday, but I was hoping that maybe someone could point me in the right direction (if that is even possible).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Long time reader, first time poster.

• Members

I decided to try one last battery and this time I left the back cover off after installing it. I turned the keeley over (sans battery cover) and plugged it in... and it worked. It appears the board inside the unit is not seated properly and when it is pressed down (like I found out when turning it over) it goes in the correct position.

I'll be sending this one back to the vendor tomorrow. This is actually the second one I ordered this week. I sent the first one back to another vendor because of the same problem (no sound). I wonder if both of these units came from the same bad batch. I'll note the serial # and give Keeley a call to give them a heads up. At this point I'm ready to try another compressor.... any ideas??!!

• Members

When you took the back off the pedal, was the circuit board (with the soldering points) close to the back plate? If so, there should be some sort of shield (paper, plastic) between the board and the bottom plate, or even tape on the inside of the bottom plate itself. Without it, the circuit might short out against the metal back plate.

• Members

I finally decided to pick up the Keeley 4 knob compressor after my boss pedal died. I patiently waited all day for USPS to arrive and I scrambled to hear the new compressor. I plug it it and... nothing. Nothing at all.

I have a Baggs Anthem pickup in an acoustic guitar:

Baggs PU -> Keeley Compressor -> Mackie Mixer -> Mackie HR824

I pulled my Baggs Venue preamp out of the mix to try to simplify points of failure.

I tried swapping the battery, using a Boss power supply, swapping cables, adjusting every knob in every possible way and I'm unable to get a sound when the compressor is engaged (and the blue light is on). When I turn off the compressor I get my nice sounding guitar to play through the system. But for the life of me I can't figure out if I'm missing something (I've read the instruction sheet 3 times) or if it's broken.

I'll call Keeley on Monday, but I was hoping that maybe someone could point me in the right direction (if that is even possible).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Welcome Paul :wave:

I'm a Keeley-a-holic. I have one of everything he's made and I've never had a problem with any of them. I'm quite certain Robert will be mortified that a unit arrived with ANY problem and I look for him to resolve it quickly. He stands behind his stuff 100%. Always has, always will.

I've had my Keeley 2 knob Comp for 8 years now and it has been brutalized on the road for most of that time - never an issue - never a problem. This is one builder you don't have to worry about taking good care of you. Call the shop on Monday and talk to anyone that answers the phone - they'll take care of you for certain.

That having been said - his latest creation - the Keeley Overdirve - will be here shortly. I'm stoked :cool:

• Members

I'm quite certain Robert will be mortified that a unit arrived with ANY problem and I look for him to resolve it quickly. He stands behind his stuff 100%. Always has, always will.

Very much so.

I have the 2-knob as well, and a bunch of other Keeley effects.

I've broken 2 Keeley effects (the wah, and the compressor...both were totally my fault), and they repaired them at no charge, and had them back to me by the end of that same week.

The compressor isn't just good...I'd say it's among the best out there.

I'd recommend handling it directly with Keely & Co.; you might be glad you did in the long term.

• Members

not to thread derail but you guys seem to know a lil something

for the comp, 2knob vs 4 knob? is it worth the price difference to get the 4knob? I want the comp just to smooth dynamics, add sustain and sometimes for recording some sharp attack chicken type picking

• Members

not to thread derail but you guys seem to know a lil something

for the comp, 2knob vs 4 knob? is it worth the price difference to get the 4knob? I want the comp just to smooth dynamics, add sustain and sometimes for recording some sharp attack chicken type picking

Depends on your needs. You can get the same sounds out of the 2 knobber since it has 2 internal trim pots. I would prefer the 2 knob version for more simplicity, claiming a set and forget with the internal pots. But if you plan on using it with various different instruments where you'll often need to adjust the clip/line level or think you'll be adjusting the attack often, then I guess the 4 knober is the way to go.

• Members

Yesterday I sent the compressor back to the eBay store that sold it to me. I didn't know Keeley's turnaround time was so fast or I would have sent it directly to him. I'm going to do a little more looking (it's reassuring his fan base seems extremely vocal and loyal) and if I do decide on another Keeley I'll be ordering it directly from the man himself.

Thanks again for all of the input...

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi Paul

My Keeley Compressor also stopped working after only a few months of ownership. I sent it to a local tech who advised me a chip in the preamp circuit was faulty.

Keeley have offered to send a replacement chip but I have sent it directly to them in the States for repair/replacement.

It's a lot of expense and hassle - especially as the pedal is one of the most expensive in my rig.

I'm aware of Keeley's rep and am very happy with my Katana Boost, but this does put my opinion of the company on hold. We'll see how things play out.

I'll let you know what happens....

Cheers

Luke

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have noticed some folks forget to put the insulating card back inside the compressor. That has occasionally led to a problem. I find that most DOA units purchased from dealers were returns and not sent back to us, but rather re-sold to another fellow! (The dealer didn't get an RA and send it back to us, some sales person thought it was okay and sold it.) Over the years there have been only a scarce few units that arrived truly DOA. I can look back at most repairs since 2003 and sort by failure type... anyways... Each Effect Pedal has always been double tested by two technicians. It really is hard to have a unit leave here not working.

Thanks everyone!

Happy compressing and other effecting! ;-)

Robert

• Members

Yup Phil! Been way too long! I was concerned by a customer getting a compressor that had no sound in effect mode, and he mentioned this HC thread. I went into panic and decided to re-test a few units. I was concerned that maybe something somehow could have gone astray. We have a few new folks and it really worried me! Checked on things, and everything is still stable thank goodness! It really seems like a fluke. We will send one out to him tonight.

Thanks again!

rk

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I had the same problem -- mid-gig, the 4-knob compressor no longer worked. Opened the back and found a business card in there with contact info and Jennifer's signature on the back (nice touch!) put it back together making sure the card was in place, but got no love until I jiggled the jack connections and now it's back again.

Archived