Logic Pro as Amp Sim?

carrier street

• Members

carrier street wrote:

Anybody here have any experience using Logic Pro's amp sims for direct recording?  I'm thinking about going this way instead of a POD or something similar.  Thoughts? Comments? Nonsense?

Very much so. I run Logic Pro for amp sims all the time, the included and 3rd party ones. The sounds available with using a channel strip, the virtual rooms you can put your amps in, the compressers and saturation on the virtual mixing boards you can run your sims through. It's endless man. You can really do anything you want to do with your sound. If you use Logic Pro and a couple of plugins, you can get sounds that far eclipse something like the POD imo.

I used to run an XT bean direct, though it was nice to have the effects and amp emulation done with hardware and recorded direct to the system, it made it harder for me to work with the tracks thereafter. When you're using built in sims, you're running a singal straight from your board thats recorded and then fed through your channel strip, which I found helps if you want to edit different sounding amp combinations or post-effects seamlessly, but also taxes the system with a little more CPU and RAM usage (especially if you're running multiple tracks of guitar).

Holy {censored}, thats alot of typing. What system are you running it on?

• Members

Thanks dude.  That's incredibly helpful.  What you're describing is exactly what I'm looking for.  I've always just run one Line 6 product or another direct, but I got a new computer and am trying to talk myself into buying Logic.  If it's going to replace that, then I'm sold.  

I've got an Air with an I5 and 4 GB of RAM.  That would be my next question:  Is this thing going to run it without lag?

Archived