MY AMP BLEW UP! HALP!

christianatl

• Members

Hey guys.

I accidentally ran my head (100-watt Marshall Superlead) for about 30 minutes without it being plugged into the cabinet. It ended up killing one of the power tubes (#4) and the High test fuse. I pulled the one and four power tubes, replaced the high test fuse and halfed the ohms to run the amp at half power.

Is it better for me to repleace one and four with new tubes without biasing the amp, or run it at half power? 

My band is on the road right now, so replacing all four and having the amp biased is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You probably should get the transformer checked. They can still work and be damaged. They will just be quieter and you might not notice the difference with it running at half power since you're already expecting it to be quieter.

• Members

christianatl wrote:

I'm slowly realizing that this forum is primarily populated by people who are collectors of gear and not much more.

And that's a bummer.

think about that statement for a moment.  you, being a real touring legitimate musician, don't know how to work on your gear.  what you need is a forum of guys that study gear and don't play out, iow, techs.

you need tech advice, go a tech forum, or listen to the advice given.  

• Members

christianatl wrote:

One is late sixties / early 70s, and one is. A RI. "The gall." Bitch, please.

We make enough money to be able to tour, but we certainly don't have an extra $100 laying around.

Um, don't go on tour with gear you can't support. Take a lesson from the Melvins.

• Members

alien wrote:

But hes in the stomp box forum asking for AMP help, amirite?
:freak:

Psh, everyone knows the amp forum is for posting pictures of fate tits that claim to be inside bikinis.

He's in the right place for tech help.

Archived