Macbook to Amp

onyxrhino

• Members

I know we've probably covered this before, but I wasn't paying attention.

If I want to use software on my Macbook for effects (like delay, reverb) and go Guitar>Macbook>Amp, how do I do it?

I am asking for a friend (but I don't really know how to do it either), so I don't have specifics, but assume the computer is your regular old, non-retina Macbook and the amp is just your basic, no frills amp, no speaker in, no effects loop, just the regular old input. How would you do it? 

• Members

To cobalt 60 - So you mean use the Tonecore to connect to the computer and then go out via the Tonecore unit's analog outs to the amp? Does that actually work? Does it sound any good? 

I thought the tonecore device (and I have one I use) were mainly for connecting your guitar to the computer for recording? Does it work equally well for going through the computer and to an amp?

I should also mention my friend already has effects software he uses, i think. He mainly just wants to get it out of the computer and to his amp.

• Members

what size MBP do you have? the 13'' doesn't have a MIC IN. Not that you'd want to use the built in sound drivers anyways. Probably couldn't get low enough latency.

Theres basically no way around this. My mentioning of good preamps wasn't that I was suggesting getting seperate preamps AND an interface, but rather an interface with good preamps in it.

Like I said, the E-MU 0404 is a basic audio interface with good preamps. 1/4'' I/O.

Unless you or your friend already has a DAW, you're gonna have to buy that too ( or download if that floats your boat).

You're gonna have to buy something... Might as well get something decent or good. Don't want to cheap out otherwise it won't really work/sound good/ and you'll have high latency.

The 0404s can be had for $100 used.

• Members

Your cheapest solution will be a USB-based soundcard with full duplex (i.e. in and out at the same time). The audio out doesn't sound particularly good on a Macbook, and you could do a lot better. Consider a used Zoom G/B2.1U, and simply run it in bipass mode so it works like a soundcard. It does 24bit a/d and d/a encoding and will normally play with whatever DAW (garageband??) you're using, but also included a lite DAW in the box.

I've used a B2.1u with my macbook and it worked fine.

Archived