OT: Trinity Triwatt amp

• Members

Wonder how the transformers are. I have an amp with original Partridges in it and those things both sound amazing and are more or less indestructible.

Here are some specs on the OT. Sounds like they gave it a shot.

The OT is really close to a Partridge on file that was torn down by Heyboer. It's built how the Partridge was set with the same interleave and hook up. It's a very involved winding with 4 primary sections and 3 secondary sections.

29 guage M-6 laminations that are the same size lams as original.

4-8-16 0hm outputs

• Members

I did have one(the pic in the OP might actually be my very amp) and it was a phenomenal amp in all regards. In fact, the only reason I sold it was because the guy I bought it from(who was also built it from the kit) really wanted to buy it back and at the time I also had a Reeves Custom 50 so I helped him out and sent it home. The thing I loved most about the amp was that it had both the DR circuits and the OL series circuits in the same amp. Everyone loves those DR cleans and kerrang when it overdrives but I'm also a sucker for the crunchier OL tones. Not crazy high gain on the lead side by any means but really thick and crunchy, like a great Marshall Hiwatt {censored} baby. Killer MV too.

• Members

Mine didn't have the overdrive foot switch so I had the push pull for overdrive. DR side was awesome and it could keep up with a band but not really clean, it would be in nice break up territory by then. I ran it with KT-66's for the headroom and it was beautiful. I've heard the 6v6s were unbeatable for cleans in there though.

• Members

They are fantastic amps, and Trinity is a stand up company. Stephen is top notch and their forums, while slow to respond due to not a huge forum, will provide any answers you may have regarding your build.

The amp itself sounds fantastic. The clean headroom is pretty good for 22 watts. But remember, it's 22 watts. You can crank it up, get the tube distortion (which sounds amazing), and then roll off on your volume knob on the guitar to get it to clean up. It responds very well to changes in your volume knob.

THEN, you can use KT66's to effectively double the wattage...I haven't done this yet (I keep meaning to), but I've heard it really does help the headroom a lot. 6v6's are the best choice for the cleans, but KT66's will still sound fantastic. There are some clips on the trinity forum if you dig around!

As for the transformers...They are BEEFY! Seriously, for 22 watt transformers they are overkill, but that's a good thing. Stephen said himself that they are about the same size as the 50 DR transformers. It's true that they are built true to Partridge specs. They have PLENTY of lowend on tap. It's almost surreal.

I will definitely agree that the best part of the amp is the fact it has the DR and OL channels in the same amp. The OL channel really surprised me. It is MEAN...Not super saturated by any means, but lots of gain on tap, and can easily get into a saturated sound with a boost.

It also takes pedals very very well, obviously.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask man! It's one of the few amps I don't ever see myself selling. :thu:

-Bryan

• Members

Yeah, I would have thought it had more headroom than that.

I play with a LOUD drummer, so depending on what you play it may work for you. If you're looking at a Triwatt though their selling point is mainly being a lower wattage DR504, if you want headroom I'd just get one of the VHR kits for a 50 watter. The Triwatt DR channel sounded just like a lower wattage version of my Reeves, it was great. Again, my opinion may be skewed regarding headroom seeing as how I now play a Hiwatt 100 and am used to V4's and the like.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. As for as the headroom concern, I play a Classic 30 (30 watts, 1x12) and a Tiny Terror (15 watts, 2x12) with my drummer and still get a clean sound with my LP. I'm guessing the Triwatt will be able to deliver clean as well.

As far as the kits - VHR no long offers kits, sad. Ceriatone has two Hiwatt clones - the 103 and 504 (and a 504 OL, which I'm not interested in). The 103 (the 100 watter) is the same price as the Triwatt, $600, which includes all the parts, chassis, plates and transformers, and no tubes. Same price as the Triwatt, more power. The Ceriatone 504 is only $530 for everything except tubes.

What is a boy to do.

• Members

Oh man, if you're able to play your LP through a Tiny Terror and be good to go then you'll be A-OK good sir. I'm sure you'd be fine with the 6v6s but if that doesn't do it I have no doubt in my mind that the KT-66s will. If I remember correctly the 66s put it up around 40 watts. In regards to the differing kits, it is seriously handy to have the OL and DR tones in one amp. It is one of the reasons that I will once again own a Triwatt at some point.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. As for as the headroom concern, I play a Classic 30 (30 watts, 1x12) and a Tiny Terror (15 watts, 2x12) with my drummer and still get a clean sound with my LP. I'm guessing the Triwatt will be able to deliver clean as well.

As far as the kits - VHR no long offers kits, sad. Ceriatone has two Hiwatt clones - the 103 and 504 (and a 504 OL, which I'm not interested in). The 103 (the 100 watter) is the same price as the Triwatt, $600, which includes all the parts, chassis, plates and transformers, and no tubes. Same price as the Triwatt, more power. The Ceriatone 504 is only $530 for everything except tubes.

What is a boy to do.

Ceriatone will cost you at least $175 just to ship it here. :cop:

• Members

Did not know this. Thanks.

Ceriatone.net (rather than .com) is a distributor based in the US and charges the same kit prices as you would get directly through Nik but without the massive shipping cost because they're not shipping from Malaysia.

Archived