Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Trinity Triwatt amp

Anybody have one/played one? You like? I'm guessing it could keep up in a band setting, especially with KT66's. Thinking about unloading my classic 30 to partially fund the kit version.

http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Triwatt.htm

Love,
    Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Nobody?
    Love,
    Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

live-i-evil has (or had) one, I think...

They look kinda neat, but for the money I would probably just get a Reeves or hold out for a used Hylight or Biacrown Hiwatt...

Comment

Wonder how the transformers are. I have an amp with original Partridges in it and those things both sound amazing and are more or less indestructible.
        www.shoepedals.com

Comment

Wonder how the transformers are. I have an amp with original Partridges in it and those things both sound amazing and are more or less indestructible.

Here are some specs on the OT. Sounds like they gave it a shot.

The OT is really close to a Partridge on file that was torn down by Heyboer. It's built how the Partridge was set with the same interleave and hook up. It's a very involved winding with 4 primary sections and 3 secondary sections.
          29 guage M-6 laminations that are the same size lams as original.
          4-8-16 0hm outputs
          Love,
          Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

I wouldn't buy a made one, I'm talking about the kit at $600. Comes with everything but the shell and the tubes.

Durrr I missed where you mentioned the kit...

Comment

Really want to build one when I get the chance... I've only heard great things about it.
              VHT | Reeves | Fender

Good transactions

Comment

I did have one(the pic in the OP might actually be my very amp) and it was a phenomenal amp in all regards. In fact, the only reason I sold it was because the guy I bought it from(who was also built it from the kit) really wanted to buy it back and at the time I also had a Reeves Custom 50 so I helped him out and sent it home. The thing I loved most about the amp was that it had both the DR circuits and the OL series circuits in the same amp. Everyone loves those DR cleans and kerrang when it overdrives but I'm also a sucker for the crunchier OL tones. Not crazy high gain on the lead side by any means but really thick and crunchy, like a great Marshall Hiwatt **************** baby. Killer MV too.
                On John Mayer:

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

He stole the suit from Clapton, and stole the music from SRV. I'm still trying to figure out where he stole his crappy airy voice from. A mix of Dave Matthews, and somebody who sucks.

"Well Julian may have more book learnin than me but it doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure this out."

Good Deals

Gear
                Trinity Triwatt
                1969 Ampeg VT-40
                '74 Orange 4x12
                ES 335
                Supro Coronado

Comment

You're killing me here

Anything bad? Did yours have the overdrive foot switch connection? How as the DR side? Could it keep up clean in a band situation? What kind of power tubes did you have?

Marshall Hiwatt **************** baby uugghhhhh
                  Love,
                  Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

Mine didn't have the overdrive foot switch so I had the push pull for overdrive. DR side was awesome and it could keep up with a band but not really clean, it would be in nice break up territory by then. I ran it with KT-66's for the headroom and it was beautiful. I've heard the 6v6s were unbeatable for cleans in there though.
                    On John Mayer:

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

He stole the suit from Clapton, and stole the music from SRV. I'm still trying to figure out where he stole his crappy airy voice from. A mix of Dave Matthews, and somebody who sucks.

"Well Julian may have more book learnin than me but it doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure this out."

Good Deals

Gear
                    Trinity Triwatt
                    1969 Ampeg VT-40
                    '74 Orange 4x12
                    ES 335
                    Supro Coronado

Comment

How did the Triwatt compare to your Custom 50?
                      VHT | Reeves | Fender

Good transactions

Comment

Hmm that's trouble if it can't stay clean.
                        Love,
                        Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

might want to PM KCtigerchief from the amp forum. He built one a while ago and has lots to say about it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2750339-**BUILD-THREAD**-NAKD-Trinity-Triwatt-%2822w-Hiwatt-DR103-clone%29
                          Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

Comment

Hmm that's trouble if it can't stay clean.

Yeah, I would have thought it had more headroom than that.
                            VHT | Reeves | Fender

Good transactions

Comment

They are fantastic amps, and Trinity is a stand up company. Stephen is top notch and their forums, while slow to respond due to not a huge forum, will provide any answers you may have regarding your build.

The amp itself sounds fantastic. The clean headroom is pretty good for 22 watts. But remember, it's 22 watts. You can crank it up, get the tube distortion (which sounds amazing), and then roll off on your volume knob on the guitar to get it to clean up. It responds very well to changes in your volume knob.

THEN, you can use KT66's to effectively double the wattage...I haven't done this yet (I keep meaning to), but I've heard it really does help the headroom a lot. 6v6's are the best choice for the cleans, but KT66's will still sound fantastic. There are some clips on the trinity forum if you dig around!

As for the transformers...They are BEEFY! Seriously, for 22 watt transformers they are overkill, but that's a good thing. Stephen said himself that they are about the same size as the 50 DR transformers. It's true that they are built true to Partridge specs. They have PLENTY of lowend on tap. It's almost surreal.

I will definitely agree that the best part of the amp is the fact it has the DR and OL channels in the same amp. The OL channel really surprised me. It is MEAN...Not super saturated by any means, but lots of gain on tap, and can easily get into a saturated sound with a boost.

It also takes pedals very very well, obviously.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask man! It's one of the few amps I don't ever see myself selling.

-Bryan
                              My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
                              Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

Working...
                              X