New Skreddys?

Beef

• Members

Beef wrote:

You guys see these?  Single knob phaser and a new fuzz.  Cool stuff.  Wonder how the BC109 compares to the Lunar Module.

Interesting, just one thing... Where are the audio/video samples? Because I'm not willing to spend that amount of money on something when I don't even know how it sounds like.

• Members

$229+ for a one knob Phase 90 clone is really pushing it. You can get a used Whetstone for 200 which can do 10x as many sounds than that Skreddy. I think Kyle has a pretty good rep too. The BC109 looks a lot like a Monsterpiece clone with a few circuit tweaks.

• Members

These things are not officially released yet; they were leaked.  That is why they do not appear on my menus and there are no clips available.  

As for the price, I've dropped the price of the LMS Phaser down to $229, same price as the Lunar and Screw driver sell for all day, every day, even though the phaser has 50% more parts, much more expensive parts, and is a lot more labor-intensive to build.  This is as low as I'll go on this product.  

I find the dollars-to-knobs ratio argument be a bit of a simplistic view.  What happens when I put more knobs on a phaser?  People set them inappropriately and make it sound bad.  So I've made it sound really, really good and left just a speed knob on it, which has always served the classic Phase 90 well.  I even played with a feedback switch (kind of a block-logo/script-logo switch), but found that adding feedback only increased the compression and made it sound less good.  You may not love the script-logo Phase 90 as much as I do.  You may not think that original specimens are worth $300, but that's what they sell for on eBay all day every day.  If you do have one of those oldies, you may not find it road worthy, and you may find it noisy.  Maybe you'd like one that's got the perfect sound dialed in but is just a touch more transparent (no bass cut, no treble boost, the opto technology as opposed to FETS means it has no distortion and no synthy sing-song overtone imposed on top), has true bypass, LED, and yeah a nifty speed-indicator LED, and DC adaptor power.  You might not think you'd want to spend upwards of $200 on a 1-knob phaser, but then again you might just change your mind if you tried this one.  I'm betting you will, actually, if you happen to love vintage phaser tones.  As is the case with all my best work, the LMS Phaser was a labor of love.  You'll be pleasantly surprised with how well it just works.

And, yes, the BC109 Fuzz is a historic Fuzz Face clone with tweaks.  It's not re-engineered, modernized, and radically modded like the Lunar Module and Screw Driver, though; it's dead-vintage in its operation and sound.  You may not be in love with the classic Fuzz Face.  If that's the case, then the BC109 Fuzz is not for you.  But if you love Fuzz Faces and want something just a bit more manageable yet still capable of a wide range of vintage, high-gain FF sounds, you will probably find its price just right.  If this isn't something you're looking for, please feel free to ignore the fact that it even exists.  I don't want anyone to buy it unless they are already Fuzz Face fanatics.

Archived