Modifying and hand-wiring effects pedals, question

roundtree

• Members

I came across what I'm assuming is a home made boost pedal. It was left behind by a musician at a gig. It's in a plain black metal housing and has a single switch and volume knob.

It sounds like a completely clean boost. Which is nice because it should be a simple clean slate for me to start with. I've always wanted to build an effect pedal, especially a fuzz, this should be an easy way to start, I'm assuming.

I want to tinker with it and turn it into a fuzz pedal, or maybe something tube screamer like. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some tips?

• Members

Looks like a MXR Micro Amp. It even has a 56K resistor next to the IC (green-blue-etc.). A sort of fuzzy distortion could be done by increasing the gain a lot and adding a volume control to get it in control. For example, by changing that 56K to 1M. Its R4 in the schematic: http://www.schematicsunlimited.com/download.php?manu=MXR&file=mxr-m-133-micro-amp-pedal-schematic.pdf

I would recommend at least as much, use its boost to overdrive another dirt or your amp more. Buy a pedal for what else you need many are cheap.

Archived