Need a new tremolo, whaddya like lately?

IRG

• Members

I sold off my tremolo some time ago, thinking I could get by with the M5, but I can't really. Amp is now a Fender Humboldt Blues Jr. so no amp tremolo.  I want something that isn't all that complicated, tap isn't necessary but nice, don't need tons of modes, but will look at anything really. Prefer under $200, and at PGS I get a substantial discount, so I've been scouring their offerings. So far, the Boss TR-2 for the cheaper end, and I like the Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo a lot too. Good demo here:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stubacca wrote:

That is a great video, pedal seems solid. I'm using the Dr. Scientist Tremolesence and it works well for me. Does everything for mellow amp like tone to all out choppy mayhem.

I've had the Tremolessence before too, good pedal indeed. Mine was an older version I think. Main issue for me was with the speed and the slow/fast speed switch. THere was always this speed that I liked that was right in the middle of these two, so I found it a pain to really dial in what I liked. It seems like the new version has done away with this. Same thing with the Semaphore.

• Members

I'm running a Boss TR-2 on one pedalboard, and a Voodoo Lab Tremolo on the other. I like the sound and tweakability of the Voodoo Lab, but hate how the knobs are positioned so closely together that I can't really change the settings with my shoe.

The Pulsar is cool if you don't like that midrangey thing that a lot of tremolos have. I've spent some time with both the Demeter Tremulator and the Fulltone Supa-Trem, and preferred the sound of the Demeter but liked the playability of the Fulltone better. I couldn't justify getting either though, and kept my Boss.

I should say though, that I modded the Boss to fix the volume drop and changed one of the coupling capacitors to let more signal through.

• Members

blanketblanket wrote:

VFE Old school

Yes, very high on my list. PGS doesn't it stock it right now, but I'm keeping my eye out for one. Definite contender, thanks.

Also, love the spam above this one, at least someone is visiting this forum, lol.

• Members

Zvex Sonar sounds pretty neat for what it does, but for the type of tremolo I like, you can't go wrong with stuff like the MP Mellow Yellow/Trex Trem/Fulltone Supatrem.

If you can stand 1590a enclosures there's a few from Lovepedal & Malekko that IIRC are just what you're after.

• Members

The Hardwire Tremolo/Rotary thingy really intrigues me.  If I was buying a trem pedal, that's the first one I'd try... seems bitchin.  It has bias tremolo (my favorite) and a bunch of other stuff.

Or I'd just get a TR-2

That's a good Boss pedal. Tremolo does not need to cost a lot.

• Members

Harry_Manback wrote:

I'll sell ya my EQD Hummingbird. 

I liked the sound of it, but it's a bit more percussive than what I'm after, and I also think it's singular purpose (like the Mad Prof and others) may in the end be a little too simple for me.

Archived