Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V
    started a topic Shoe Pedals Tourbox

Shoe Pedals Tourbox

I would like to get a tourbox going for Shoe Pedals. You guys know how this works. I put a variety of pedals in a box and send it to the first person on the list to try. They keep the box for a few days and try out the pedals (demo video/discussion/review appreciated) and then send to the next person on the list. And so on.

So, I have quite a few models and I don't think I'll include all of them, but I'm thinking the following would be in the box:

1. Silver Apple: Oscillating fuzz/distortion with momentary switch "?" for on the fly "note grabbing," glitching, and fun squealing stabs of oscillation.

2. Frog: Analog octave up booster pedal. Not an octave fuzz, really. More of a clean to overdriven-sounding octave. (A fixture on the road with Deerhoof's Ed Rodriguez.)

3. Pixel Fix: Synth-sounding fuzz. Does gated distortion and 8-bit/analog synth type sounds. Also works great on bass and monosynths. (Satomi, also of Deerhoof, uses this on bass.)

4. Kung Fuzz: A less wild fuzz. Made to be useful to a wide variety of people for more standard fuzz/distortion sounds. Has 12 different switchable modes (and I'll probably include the more deluxe version that has a few extra knobs.)

5. Evil Rainbow: A muff-style fuzz with extensive tone controls and several clipping options. Unlike most muffs it is fet based and can also do marshall-esque crunch and distortion sounds. Can also be used as a treble booster.

It's possible I could add one more in there. Anyway, let's start making a list. Who is in for this? For the cost of shipping to the next person, you get to try some awesome and unique pedals (These are all my own twisted take on a lot of different fuzz concepts. There are no direct clones, here.). Of course if you steal anything we'll get Bobby D to track you down.

RIP Bobby D

• V
    replied
    Really cool demo, man. Thanks so much.

Leave a comment:

• Crxsh
    replied
    Here's the video demo

Leave a comment:

• V
    replied
    Sounds awesome! Really cool approach having multiple pedals at once in a song context.

Leave a comment:

• Crxsh
    replied
    Recorded this track today >>> https://soundcloud.com/crxshdxmmy/shoe

Pedals in the order that you hear them:

• Pixel Fix (Base track)

• Frog (Creepy lead)

• Ancient Astronaut (Ditty lead and a couple chords)

• Kung Fuzz (Lead)

• Silver Apple (Oscillation)

Gonna sync w/ some pics and video and upload to YouTube, but I figured I'd share here first.

Disclaimer: Mixed on earbuds... so hopefully it's not too terrible.

Leave a comment:

replied
    That's to bad about the art work. I liked the whole Sharpie on the enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• V
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by Crxsh
    View Post

It's just not a sound I really care for and/or could ever see myself using. Sorta has a ringmod-ish-ness to it and while it might be just the right thing for somebody else

Leave a comment:

• Crxsh
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by V
    View Post

Interesting you say the Pixelfix reminds you of a zvex pedal cause it's not similar to any one I'm aware of in design anyway. Maybe not the same at all (and more likely just on account of the 'Pinch' control), but it reminds me a bit of the Mammoth. The Silver Apple, yes, does have some things in common the the fuzz factory but is implemented rather differently. Originally it was more like a wolf computer (similar concept to a fuzz factory) but it's diverged from that quite a bit as well. It's certainly different in execution... just somewhat similar, I think.

Anyway, a lot of people seem pretty confused by the Evil Rainbow. Not sure if I'll release that one exactly as it is entirely, but basically it's sort of a mixture of a marshall-esque distortion with more muff-like controls. You can also bypass almost all of the controls on that one leaving you with pretty much a straight signal path to the volume knob with no filtering.

But anyway, the controls are like this:

Tone Knob: Similar to a Muff Style tone stack. You cut treble to the left and cut bass to the right.

Spec.: Modifies the range/intensity of the tone knob/affects mids. Basically the farther to the right you turn it, the more muff-like the tone knob will act with more mid scoop and the farther to the kleft it is, the milder the tone knob's effect will be.

There's of course, a bypass for both of those. You also have a toggle switch (called Color, I think...I haven't looked at that one in a while and it's the only one quite like that) is an input tone control. One position effectively cuts highs a bit and boosts mids, one is straight through bypasssed, one position is more of a bass cut/treble boost.

There's also a toggle switch that changes what the final remaining knob does. In the middle this bypasses that knob and you get full gain. In the other two positions it acts as a gain knob but one position is voiced a bit darker than the other.

That's pretty much the gist of that one. Lots of different tone controls if you want or more or less no controls at all. Interesting concept. Spent some more time with it today and was able to coax some good tones out of it. Still seems overcomplicated though.

The PF does have a pretty severe volume difference with the filter on and off. Sort of the nature of that beast as it's a passive filter (kind of like bypassing a tone knob on a big muff). Fortunately it's ridiculously loud so you can readjust to well above unity. I would try using that one for leads and on bass and synth as well if you have those available to you. It's fun to use as a way of making a crappy keyboard sound like an analog monosynth if you set it right/play appropriately. More or less it's intended as a bass fuzz and a synth/chiptune fuzz. Spent a good while with this one again today. So many fun sounds packed in there. Nice going.

View Post

Also, it's sort of funny how Crxsh zeroed in on the sort of main production pedals.

The Silver Apple, Pixelfix, Kung Fuzz, and Frog are all currently made often. The Ancient Astronaut and Evil Rainbow are both sort of the first of their kind (the Ancient Astronaut especially being a complete experiment). Out of curiosity, so I know for the future, what didn't you like about that one?

It's just not a sound I really care for and/or could ever see myself using. Sorta has a ringmod-ish-ness to it and while it might be just the right thing for somebody else

Leave a comment:

• Grueller
    replied

View Post

Yep. Ed says that's the pixelfix on bass.

Sweet! Deerhoof rules.

Glad to see the box is getting closer to the mitten!

Leave a comment:

• V
    replied
    Also, it's sort of funny how Crxsh zeroed in on the sort of main production pedals.

The Silver Apple, Pixelfix, Kung Fuzz, and Frog are all currently made often. The Ancient Astronaut and Evil Rainbow are both sort of the first of their kind (the Ancient Astronaut especially being a complete experiment). Out of curiosity, so I know for the future, what didn't you like about that one?

Leave a comment:

• V
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by Crxsh
    View Post

Just got the box today. Hadn't really followed this thread much, so I was shocked to find a half dozen different pedals in there. Played through each of them for a few minutes... and then revisited the Kung FuZZ, Silver Apple and PixelFix.

Initially, I'm thinking that the Jim Kelly'd Kung Fuzz is great for "standard" fuzz tones and that the PixelFix is super fun to play with. Some things I noticed and/or will have to spend more time exploring...

1. The filter toggle on the PF is really frustrating. Engaging it cuts the volume drastically... but there are some cool sounds in there.

2. Seems like I only like 1 mix setting on every pedal that has that. The others just sound bad. Will try tweaking more.

3. The Silver Apple and Pixelfix remind me of 2 popular Zvex designs. Only with more things to mess with.

4. Don't care for the Ancient Astronaut much at all, but I too found the Frog to be more fun than I initially thought.

5. No idea what's going on in the Evil Rainbow.

Hoping to do a quick-ish compilation video of all the crazy sounds before I send these off. Will have to see if time allows for that.

Interesting you say the Pixelfix reminds you of a zvex pedal cause it's not similar to any one I'm aware of in design anyway. The Silver Apple, yes, does have some things in common the the fuzz factory but is implemented rather differently. Originally it was more like a wolf computer (similar concept to a fuzz factory) but it's diverged from that quite a bit as well.

Anyway, a lot of people seem pretty confused by the Evil Rainbow. Not sure if I'll release that one exactly as it is entirely, but basically it's sort of a mixture of a marshall-esque distortion with more muff-like controls. You can also bypass almost all of the controls on that one leaving you with pretty much a straight signal path to the volume knob with no filtering.

But anyway, the controls are like this:

Tone Knob: Similar to a Muff Style tone stack. You cut treble to the left and cut bass to the right.

Spec.: Modifies the range/intensity of the tone knob/affects mids. Basically the farther to the right you turn it, the more muff-like the tone knob will act with more mid scoop and the farther to the kleft it is, the milder the tone knob's effect will be.

There's of course, a bypass for both of those. You also have a toggle switch (called Color, I think...I haven't looked at that one in a while and it's the only one quite like that) is an input tone control. One position effectively cuts highs a bit and boosts mids, one is straight through bypasssed, one position is more of a bass cut/treble boost.

There's also a toggle switch that changes what the final remaining knob does. In the middle this bypasses that knob and you get full gain. In the other two positions it acts as a gain knob but one position is voiced a bit darker than the other.

That's pretty much the gist of that one. Lots of different tone controls if you want or more or less no controls at all.

The PF does have a pretty severe volume difference with the filter on and off. Sort of the nature of that beast as it's a passive filter (kind of like bypassing a tone knob on a big muff). Fortunately it's ridiculously loud so you can readjust to well above unity. I would try using that one for leads and on bass and synth as well if you have those available to you. It's fun to use as a way of making a crappy keyboard sound like an analog monosynth if you set it right/play appropriately. More or less it's intended as a bass fuzz and a synth/chiptune fuzz.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Noise Factory
    replied

View Post

That thing sounds really sick!

Leave a comment:

• Crxsh
    replied
    Just got the box today. Hadn't really followed this thread much, so I was shocked to find a half dozen different pedals in there. Played through each of them for a few minutes... and then revisited the Kung FuZZ, Silver Apple and PixelFix.

Initially, I'm thinking that the Jim Kelly'd Kung Fuzz is great for "standard" fuzz tones and that the PixelFix is super fun to play with. Some things I noticed and/or will have to spend more time exploring...

1. The filter toggle on the PF is really frustrating. Engaging it cuts the volume drastically... but there are some cool sounds in there.

2. Seems like I only like 1 mix setting on every pedal that has that. The others just sound bad. Will try tweaking more.

3. The Silver Apple and Pixelfix remind me of 2 popular Zvex designs. Only with more things to mess with.

4. Don't care for the Ancient Astronaut much at all, but I too found the Frog to be more fun than I initially thought.

5. No idea what's going on in the Evil Rainbow.

Hoping to do a quick-ish compilation video of all the crazy sounds before I send these off. Will have to see if time allows for that.

Leave a comment:

• V
    replied

Leave a comment:

• V
    replied
    You know, i've never actually tested so see exactly how loud all the different pedals are but I'd say the Frog is probably the loudest of them at max gain with Pixelfix and Silver Apple following it closely. I've been seeing a significant increase in interest in the Pixelfix lately, actually.

Possibly has something to do with its use on Bass here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbKQIzew86A

At least..I think that's what it is. I just sent an email to verify. I know they were using that pedal on bass on some of their other recent stuff/live.

Regarding the Silver Apple, in the future I am planning on using a blend of all silicon transistors as standard and having the standard controls be:

Output Level, ? Tuning, Tone (Low Pass), Gate, Input Level, Glitch

Bypass and Momentary or Latching Switch for Instant Oscillation. I suppose the other thing I could do would be a second two-channel version where you get teo separate sets of GLitch and Gate controls and a latching or momentary switch to swap between. No tone control. Just Inout and Output Levels?

What do you guys think? Maybe a second model that's a two channel oscillating fuzz is in order? Silver Orange? Totally uncomparable?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X