New apartment Amp Day

Zappa74

• Members

Recently moved into an apartment where I'm kind of unable to crank my Ampeg J20 the way I like to, so I went shopping for a lower powered amp that I could also use headphones with.

First bought a Fender Mustang II.  I enjoyed the clean Fender tones (having a princeton, deluxe reverb and a twin all in one amp is pretty badass), but HATED the controls and the way the preset system worked.  Decent amp but not for me. 

Returned the Fender and grabbed a used Roland Cube 30x for $99.  Love it.  The JC clean channel is really all I need... sounds excellent with a surprising amount of punch from the 10 inch speaker.  Really a full sound that takes pedals well. 

Roland Cube 30x

What's cool is, the Fender Black Pannel model and the Tweed model are also quite usable... I have them set pretty clean and then just use my Rat for dirt, though they also sound pretty cool with the amp gain up.  The Vox model and the 5150 models are fun... the rest of the amp is really not for me.  The effects kinda blow... the reverb is particularlly disappointing.

Basically, the Cube 30x is a nice compact, great sounding clean amp with a few cool voices that takes pedals well.  Love the 10 inch speaker vs 8 inchers in other similar amps and the controls are nice and simple with no preset bull{censored}.

Recommended!

• Members

ItchyFingers wrote:

Sweet score, Zappa!  I have an old Roland Cube 30 - they also work great as a laptop speaker for jamming along to backing tracks!

Good to know.  I was just messing around with the aux input as well as the headphone output... really nice results from both.  I dig it :catsurprised:

• Members

michaelschultz wrote:

From memory, my favorite clean in the 30x (and maybe my favorite modeled clean, period, and I mean it) was the Blackface with the gain fairly up and the Power Squeeze thing engaged. Rich in the middle without being unpleasantly flabby. Check it and see what you think.

You are right on.

The Fender Blackface model adds a little midrange that the JC Clean lacks.  It's really nice and takes dirt like a pro.

I could go for a cube that had:

JC Clean

Fender Black Pannel

And then a full featured Boss reverb in it.  Maybe a chorus too.  That would be perfect.

Archived