EHX has really stepped up their game!

npfrs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stopped myself buying an SH101 and an MC202 this week and I was trying to deny myself other step sequencer related deals. Then I remembered about seeing this on effects database.

I don't understand what everyone's problem is not understanding the step sequencer though? Read the damn pedal, it's an 8 step sequencer that controls an exp or CV amount. The glide function will be pretty cool to transition between steps.

Mmmm, it might be a buy but I'll probably wait to hear verdicts/buy the flips of some chump who doesn't understand how it works.

• Members

It's simple. CV is short for Control Voltage. It was standardized by Moog so that 1 volt is 1 octave on their keyboards. However, control of knobs and such can also be done (usually in a range of 5v or so). Basically if something can accept CV signals you can send a voltage (or varying voltage like an LFO shape) to control a parameter with it. 

• Members

companyman wrote:

Thanks!

No problem. So, like, on the hog, for instance, he has the octave bend mode on and the step sequences plugged into the expression input. I am not sure if it works this way exactly in practice, but normally an expression pedal is just like having a knob inside of a foot pedal so you can manipulate it. Since this seems to be able to send CV signals and has a glide function as well it's probably actually generating voltages as well but for the same of simplicity in this example, think of those sliders as your knob. Each position corresponds to a position between minimum and maximum on the knob. In this case, maximum would be one octave up. Middle is probably a 5th up and minimum is unison. So, using those sliders he is dialing in 8 individual knob settings and then the sequencer runs through them in a sequence at a set speed. This generates different harmonic intervals corresponding to the note he's playing. I used to do this with midi pitch shift signals on my original hog. It's quite cool if you use an ebow because you can then hold out long notes, the pedal generates an arpeggio, and you can change the key by playing a different note on the guitar. Sounds very synth-like.

Archived