Names of newest hc members very suspect

goodhonk

At least once per day I hit that list up and check on suspect names such as those. Most of the time they're spammers, and I ban them before they can do any damage.

However, we still get tons of spammers, and the way we're notified of spam isn't as good as on the old site IMO. However, they do a pretty good job of blocking a lot of spam - we see less of it than on the old site, but unfortunately, you guys still see the stuff that gets through...

goodhonk wrote:

This place seems like a spam magnet.

All large websites are. Especially ones that allow you to sign up and post easily. That's the problem - we want to keep it easy for the legit users to sign up and use the site, but that also makes it easier for the spammers. We can do things to make it harder on the spammers that would also make it harder on you guys, but we try to avoid that as much as possible.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

At least once per day I hit that list up and check on suspect names such as those. Most of the time they're spammers, and I ban them before they can do any damage.

However, we still get tons of spammers, and the way we're notified of spam isn't as good as on the old site IMO. However, they do a pretty good job of blocking a lot of spam -
we see less of it than on the old site
, but unfortunately, you guys still see the stuff that gets through...

What?  I think I'm definitely seeing more spam over here.  Maybe it just seems like it's more because there are fewer actual posts now? :idk:

TomVanDeven wrote:

Spam is so {censored}ing useless anyways. I wonder statistically how much money spent on things like Internet spam vs. potential income generated souly from said spam. I bet itd just be a joke.

I've often had similar thoughts myself - usually while deleting yet another ad for Ugg boots or something similarly uninteresting to the vast majority of people on this forum. :D

To spammers, large site = lots of views, and I'm pretty sure that's how they sell their services - based on the number of views or potential views. I don't think most spam "companies" do much in the way of targeting things to specific audiences, although smaller music stores and equipment companies do spam here from time to time. I suspect that's DIY-spam and not being farmed out to a spam firm.

Considering the amount of it, some of it must work or pay off somehow. It's probably just a numbers game - let's guess and call it ten responses for every ten million spam posts / emails. Sounds horribly inefficient, and if you had to pay for it in terms of postage, it would be - but when you can send out mass mailings to hundreds or thousands at once without any real costs involved, or utilize networks of compromised computers without permission (and often without any knowledge on the part of the people who own them) to send out spam and post junk, those numbers are relatively unimportant.

Still, even if I had a guarantee from the Almighty that I wouldn't get caught, there's no way I'd spam or pay for someone to spam on my behalf. It just doesn't seem like it would be an effective way to market much of anything.

Archived