Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names of newest hc members very suspect

Please welcome our newest community members:
    cofttompoma Scepfeesuck Bloldacrode TillflullySef Alurffulkip kh4f8v37se gubabrasiaMuh narlunjubre wy0ozu pletchereii okindfrrows Accoutced LamBeRElemola TrstedGuy tepadvare

This place seems like a spam magnet.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment

goodhonk wrote:
      This place seems like a spam magnet.

All large websites are. Especially ones that allow you to sign up and post easily. That's the problem - we want to keep it easy for the legit users to sign up and use the site, but that also makes it easier for the spammers. We can do things to make it harder on the spammers that would also make it harder on you guys, but we try to avoid that as much as possible.

I welcome our new SPAM overlords!
    <div class="signaturecontainer">-Colin<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://yellowjournalism.bandcamp.com/" target="_blank">http://yellowjournalism.bandcamp.com/</a><br />
    <br />
    <font size="1">FS/T: Roland Phase Five $225, Boss CE-3 $60, MXR Blue Box script RI $50.<br />
    FS: 1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass with case $2000.<br />
    FS/T: 1981 USA Fender Bullet with case $499.<br />
    <br />
    PM for info! All prices PPL Shipped to con US.</font></div>

Comment

• goodhonk
      goodhonk commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed. I just wish they would post moar.

there's something about "TrstedGuy" that makes me think he could be credible.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><div align="center"><font size="1">we could be dangerous: art, as a real threat</font></div></b></div>

Comment

• goodhonk
      goodhonk commented
      Editing a comment
      Mama don't take my blodacrode Mama don't take my blodacrode Mama don't take my blodacrode away

At least once per day I hit that list up and check on suspect names such as those. Most of the time they're spammers, and I ban them before they can do any damage.

However, we still get tons of spammers, and the way we're notified of spam isn't as good as on the old site IMO. However, they do a pretty good job of blocking a lot of spam - we see less of it than on the old site, but unfortunately, you guys still see the stuff that gets through...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• Lou Speed's Alt
      Lou Speed's Alt commented
      Editing a comment

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

At least once per day I hit that list up and check on suspect names such as those. Most of the time they're spammers, and I ban them before they can do any damage.

However, we still get tons of spammers, and the way we're notified of spam isn't as good as on the old site IMO. However, they do a pretty good job of blocking a lot of spam - we see less of it than on the old site, but unfortunately, you guys still see the stuff that gets through...

What?  I think I'm definitely seeing more spam over here.  Maybe it just seems like it's more because there are fewer actual posts now? :idk:

Spam is so ****************ing useless anyways. I wonder statistically how much money spent on things like Internet spam vs. potential income generated souly from said spam. I bet itd just be a joke.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Trebuchet MS"><font size="1"><font color="#996633">Smooth deals with: <i>duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookie</i><br><br></font><font color="tan">Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster<br>Gibson 2013 SG Standard<br>Fender Deville III 4x10<br><b><i>Oh Henry!</i></b> chocolate bars<br>Pedals n' stuff</font></font></font><br><br><b><a href="http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com</a></b><br><br><br></div>

Comment

• Pedaltones
      Pedaltones commented
      Editing a comment

Invisible guy has found a workaround with invisble spam.

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Or see it.

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment

TomVanDeven wrote:
      Spam is so ****************ing useless anyways. I wonder statistically how much money spent on things like Internet spam vs. potential income generated souly from said spam. I bet itd just be a joke.

I've often had similar thoughts myself - usually while deleting yet another ad for Ugg boots or something similarly uninteresting to the vast majority of people on this forum.

To spammers, large site = lots of views, and I'm pretty sure that's how they sell their services - based on the number of views or potential views. I don't think most spam "companies" do much in the way of targeting things to specific audiences, although smaller music stores and equipment companies do spam here from time to time. I suspect that's DIY-spam and not being farmed out to a spam firm.

Considering the amount of it, some of it must work or pay off somehow. It's probably just a numbers game - let's guess and call it ten responses for every ten million spam posts / emails. Sounds horribly inefficient, and if you had to pay for it in terms of postage, it would be - but when you can send out mass mailings to hundreds or thousands at once without any real costs involved, or utilize networks of compromised computers without permission (and often without any knowledge on the part of the people who own them) to send out spam and post junk, those numbers are relatively unimportant.

Still, even if I had a guarantee from the Almighty that I wouldn't get caught, there's no way I'd spam or pay for someone to spam on my behalf. It just doesn't seem like it would be an effective way to market much of anything.

Working...
X