New Empress Delay (sorta)

Crxsh

• Members

Looks like they've boxed up the Tape Mode from the VMSD and put it in a smaller package:

561454_349726495096499_1744569112_n.jpg

My gut reaction is to wonder why they bothered to strip this out, only to leave the (limited) filtering, age and modulation controls the same. :idk:

Otherwise

• Members

Especially if it's under $300 to beat the El Cap.

I think this is the key. I'm going to assume that it'll be priced @ $250 like the compressor, tremolo and ParaEQ... any more than that though, and I think they'll have missed it.

Interesting idea though. Makes me wonder how successful the 'breakout-boxed' dirt pedals from the Multidrive actually were, now that they're doing this w/ the delay.

• Members

i've actually thought Empress should do this, as mostly this was the only mode I ever used. So $225is would be cool. But I gotta say, lately I've been using the regular delay mode on my Headrush, with the tone filter at noonish, and I get this really nice almost tape like delay fading quality. Actually think I prefer it to the El Cap, sounds less over the top and synthetic at the same time.

I think Empress will sell some of these though. The Superdelay just seems so pricey now at full retail.

• Members

its a good move on their part, but if you think its going to be less than 300 bones, you are crazy.

And if they think they will sell many (or any) going over $300 is a big mistake.

• Members

If the SD is $450 I don't see how are they going to price it at $200. I guess $250-300 to compete with El Capistan.

Probably. But, the market seems a bit saturated now with tape like delays. The Skreddy Echo is still considered one of the best, Montevillain is a solid contender, DMB Echo, etc.

• Members

i've actually thought Empress should do this, as mostly this was the only mode I ever used. So $225is would be cool. But I gotta say, lately I've been using the regular delay mode on my Headrush, with the tone filter at noonish, and I get this really nice almost tape like delay fading quality. Actually think I prefer it to the El Cap, sounds less over the top and synthetic at the same time.

I think Empress will sell some of these though. The Superdelay just seems so pricey now at full retail.

The Headrush as a delay is highly under rated. It is still one of my favorite pedals of all time.

• Members

i've always thought for what they are, empress is WAY overpriced compared to the market

Well, remember that Empress was pre-Strymon. So, in retrospect, while the Superdelay does seem pricey compared to the TimeLine, the Tremolo and Compressor are comparable with, say, their Diamond counterparts. And speaking of Diamond, a $250 Empress Tape Delay might compete well with the $279 Memory Lane Jr.

• Members

Maybe... but considering that their Compressor, Tremolo & ParaEQ are @ $249, I don't think it's crazy to consider it. The MultiDrive is $300 and Phaser is $350 though, so maybe there's a chance that it'll be higher.

Well, remember that Empress was pre-Strymon. So, in retrospect, while the Superdelay does seem pricey compared to the TimeLine, the Tremolo and Compressor are comparable with, say, their Diamond counterparts. And speaking of Diamond, a $250 Empress Tape Delay might compete well with the $279 Memory Lane Jr.

yeah, thats where i was headed with my thoughts

• Members

The Headrush as a delay is highly under rated. It is still one of my favorite pedals of all time.

I know you've talked about it before, and you're right. I hadn't given the delay much use, as I put this pedal at the end of my chain, mostly for the looper. Now I have it before my M5, and other delays/reverb, so it's going into both of my amps, and I really dig it. Sort of like a DE-7 only better, and it has tap, so a real bonus. For about $100 used, it's a helluva pedal.

Archived