Anderton gone?

goodhonk

• Members

ambient wrote:

Congrats Craig, sorry to see you go

What exactly does an 'evangelist' for Gibson do?

It means he is now in charge of the Sacred Steel Division and will be courting Robert Randolph and a few other steelbar slingers as endorsees for Gibby's new Pedel Steel Product Group...

Hope you like a room full o' Twins blaring in yer earz.

:nudge nudge:

Good luck Craig... all the best my wishes can bring.

• Members

ambient wrote:

Congrats Craig, sorry to see you go

What exactly does an 'evangelist' for Gibson do?

It's more like an evangelist on behalf of Gibson than being a Gibson evangelist. Several companies - Gibson isn't alone in this - recognize that educating people about how all this stuff works so they can have fun with it, and learning how to make music, is something that really needs to be addressed. I hear all kind of statistics like "50% of all interfaces people buy end up in the closet because they can't figure out how to get them to work."

Events like PreSonuSphere are a good example of this, and there's another company I won't mention because they haven't firmed their plans up yet that wants to do workshops aimed at helping musicians further their careers. Sure, their gear is involved, but there's a much bigger picture.

The thing about Gibson is it's a company with some serious resources, but there's also a more important element. Although some people like to bash Henry, I've known him for quite a while. He really and truly believes in the power of music to make the world a better place. It's not an act he puts on for my benefit; it's the way he's wired, and he sees me as someone who can help evangelize the power of music. I've even heard some of his music, and it's pretty cool. When I walk into his office, there's often music playing. I probably have the job he'd like to have someday, except he has to run a company. :)

All of this is coming together in a way where I would REALLY like to use my influence to get companies, even competitors, working together for the betterment of musicians and the industry. Pipe dream? I dunno. But it's worth a try.

This is truly something that I just couldn't pass up.

Archived