Blackface Bassman, seeks companion overdrive or dist.

pktsymph

• Members

Any particular overdrives or distioritons that yall think play real nice with ye olde bassman 50w? Been had me a distortion III and a shredmaster for ages but I think id like something a little more flexible, or at least something that complements the bassman a little nicer. Yer thoughts? 

• Members

IDK depends what distortion sounds you like. I've heard a shredmaster into a SF Fender and it sounded mmkay but nuthin specials. Distortion III is an mmkay box too.

Or I dunno, Fulltone OCD is pretty popular and a good.

To be honest. You're playing a early tube Fender amp right? Beautiful solid cleans. Any pedal in a demo should sound as good or better running into your amp. From the sounds of things you're just unhappy you have mediocre distortions and want an overdrive.

Aaaaaaand if I'm wrong and you're just wanting more of a distortion with different vibes... I'd say get some sort of Rat variant, possibly a clone or a modded one. Switchable clipping with an LM308 as an option and the Reutz mod on a pot so you can control how much you want the gain lowered.

They're the bridge between overdrive and distortion and the reutz mod lets it become a lower gain overdrive style deal but keeps it full bodied.

• Members

SirJackdeFuzz wrote:

The
Fulltone Catalyst
sounds really good with my AB165 Bassman.

Also the
EHX
Hot Tubes
. . . from mild OD, right up to filty Sludge tones.

Really? the catalyst? I thought that sounded kinda weird with the clean amps i tried it with.More like it was designed for pushing a dirty marshall.

• Members

Me too man. I've never had the chance to try a hot tubes.

To be honest my amp tech makes a jcm800 preamp housed in a pedal form which is incredible with a bassman. Hard to top that thing. Of course it has its own internal transformer too so...needs an ac outlet

Archived