Got a Delaylab, i must say, prehtty good, prettee, pretty good

dZjupp

• Members

wife got me a timebender for christmas, i tried, really tried with this thing, but it was basically unuseable for me, i'm getting too stupid in age, have been loving the Carbon Copy and Smmw/H for a while now, but have wanted another superdelay that is easy to use and has a cool/fun looper.

local store had a used Delaylab and when they were first released i was very interested but forgot about them. plus, i'm not really interested in any Vox products at all anyway. 

delays to me are very subjective as they can sound very different from rig to rig. Its hard to trust what they actually sound like from online demos (such is any pedal). but i say that to say, its been hard to find a delay to fit whats in my head soundwise and what comes out of the rig.

i didn't know what to expect with this thing honestly and was under the impression that it would be just ok and i could just flip it if need be and get a 2nd SMMw/h.

then i turned it on.  

its really spectacular sounding with my rig. took about an hour to learn its setup and how it flows, i'm loving it.

it really seems like an updated DL4 in how it can be used

i can't speak to every sound (theres 30 of them), i did play through them all, but deep playing time has only gone to the analog, tape, and ambient modes. all of which are worth the price of the pedal. 

what is great to me, is setting up a bank of each, and the option of constant parameters means you can have 3 different variations of the same mode and same time and it spillsover between each preset/bank. i know there are other pedals that do this, but the Vox is really ---- super easy to navigate and get things done. i imagine live, its just as easy to use to me as the ehx SMMw/h. i'm stoked to setup a bank of the bitcrusher delay setup the same except the bit rate and have 3 of them at different intervals to switch between. among others

sorry for the extremely long post, but i'm just smitten with joy, too find a killer sounding delay that is actually fun to use (just like the smmw/h)

now, the only superduperdelay i haven't tried out of everything is the echolution, i already know i'd like its quirkiness. the delaylab to me is pretty on par with the Timeline (which i've tried, had the 1st one actually), timefactor, M9, whatever, its on par with those in my opinion. i've tried all the others, diamond, empress, etc etc, they all have their own qualities. 

but if you are looking for an all around delay with reverb options and more that is easy to use (if you are growing stupid like me) then i would def give it a try.

• Members

I demo'd this delay for PGS, and came to the same conclusion, I thought it was great, period. It sounds great, easy to use, well thought out controls, and tons of options without being overwhelming. Nicely constructed too, and I think a really good price. IMO, it is the best delay out there right now under $250+.  It is large though, about its only drawback. But that's true of the DL4 and TCE Flashback x4 too.

• Members

IRG wrote:

I demo'd this delay for PGS, and came to the same conclusion, I thought it was great, period. It sounds great, easy to use, well thought out controls, and tons of options without being overwhelming. Nicely constructed too, and I think a really good price. IMO, it is the best delay out there right now under $250+.  It is large though, about its only drawback. But that's true of the DL4 and TCE Flashback x4 too.

cool man. i just don't know how anyone that played this for an hour would NOT want it over something else.

you are right on, its totally not overwhelming but is still a powerful delay. i spent awhile just playing the tube echo for awhile. the tape saturation/mod is overwhelming, but pretty much just perfect. just little things like that do it for me. i also will say that the feedback/repeats fade out really naturally on every setting on this thing. something alot of delays don't do.

• Members

Congrats on gettin along with this pedal.  This thing has been one of the best purchases I've made in my history of pedal ho'ing.  It does pretty much everything the DL4 did but with better sound quality (just my opinion), longer looping time, more saved preset slots, more variety of delays.  Honestly, the only ONLY complaint that I could make about this pedal, is that it doesn't have the half time feature in the looping modes like the DL4 had.  But I can live without it thanks to all the other great things this pedal does.  As far as size goes, I think it's a little deceiving.  Not saying it's not big, it is.  But if you look at the specs, it's less than a 1/4" wider and longer than the DL4.  I think the fact that it has straight sides and is a bit of a tall pedal makes it look bigger than it actually is.

• Members

captions87 wrote:

Congrats on gettin along with this pedal.  This thing has been one of the best purchases I've made in my history of pedal ho'ing.  It does pretty much everything the DL4 did but with better sound quality (just my opinion), longer looping time, more saved preset slots, more variety of delays.  Honestly, the only ONLY complaint that I could make about this pedal, is that it doesn't have the half time feature in the looping modes like the DL4 had.  But I can live without it thanks to all the other great things this pedal does.  As far as size goes, I think it's a little deceiving.  Not saying it's not big, it is.  But if you look at the specs, it's less than a 1/4" wider and longer than the DL4.  I think the fact that it has straight sides and is a bit of a tall pedal makes it look bigger than it actually is.

awesome!

glad i'm not alone. i think the same thing about it being one of the best purchases i've made, and for what it is, its dirt cheap compared to everything else.

Archived