Ibanez ES-2

rasputen

• Members

I had an hour to play with it tonight. It is really, really good. I should say though that an EHX DMM was my first pedal and has been my only delay pedal, so i don't really have much to compare it to.

It's actually quite a sturdy little box. I wasnt really expecting such decent build quality from a $150 Ibanez pedal, especially considering its unusual design. But that's probably just me.

Soundwise it's very good. As i say, i don't have any comparisons to draw besides the MM, which i think has it beat, but i still really like it. My one gripe with its sound, however, is that its "analog decay" on the repeats seems to be dependant on the delay time. For example, with the repeats set short the delay signal sounds very clear and pleasant, even as it fades. When the repeats are set really long, the delay signal is absolutely bathed in mud. It's mud city. It's practically a squelch, rather than a repeat of the original signal. Picture cranking the feedback on a memory man and and letting the signal decay into oblivion and then take one of those repeats and that is the first thing the ES2 spits back at you. This is quite a large gripe i guess, i don't know if i received a dodgy pedal or something. But it's still cool. I dont tend to use long delay settings anyway so it won't bother me.

The pitch modulation is a good touch. It works exactly as you'd expect, shifting the pitch up and down with the intensity depending on how far you turn the "depth" knob. It can get pretty nuts when it's maxed out. In a good way.

My favouritest feature is the feedback switch. Flick it over and you have instant sonic mayhem. it oscillates to its hearts content however the great thing is that the volume doesn't carry on out of control. Flick the modulation switch on and you're torn to shreds by a ferocious beam of warbly noise.

I only got to play it in conjunction with a Fuzz Face and DOD Vibrothang and it sounded {censored}ing sweet.

It looks cool as well with its blue, green and red LED's.

This was in no way intended to be a proper review, i just got carried away .

• Members

The pitch modulation is a good touch. It works exactly as you'd expect, shifting the pitch up and down with the intensity depending on how far you turn the "depth" knob. It can get pretty nuts when it's maxed out. In a good way.

My favouritest feature is the feedback switch. Flick it over and you have instant sonic mayhem. it oscillates to its hearts content however the great thing is that the volume doesn't carry on out of control. Flick the modulation switch on and you're torn to shreds by a ferocious beam of warbly noise.

^ make a video demo of these things

Ibanez knows how to make a delay :thu:

Archived