Hey Phil: Direct Boxes - share your wisdom

Faldoe

• Members

I'm looking into getting a direct box - active, to run my guitar and pedals into my audio interface.

I've read some good things about the Countryman Type 85. Have you had any experience with it? Thoughts? Or any recommendations for other active DIs? 

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Seems the 85s can be had around $100 used, which is what I'm going for.

Faldoe wrote:

I'm looking into getting a direct box - active, to run my guitar and pedals into my audio interface.

I've read some good things about the Countryman Type 85. Have you had any experience with it? Thoughts? Or any recommendations for other active DIs? 

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Seems the 85s can be had around $100 used, which is what I'm going for.

I have not spent any time with that particular Countryman - sorry. As far as what I use... in addition to my mic preamps / DI's, I have a couple of passive boxes I put together myself, a few oddball old things, a Pigtronix Keymaster (great box), a Groove Tubes Brick (another under-rated unit) and some Radial stuff. I've generally been really happy with all the Radial stuff that I've tried, and they have good DI's in your price range.

The question I have for you is - are you going to ever want to run the signal from the audio interface back into the pedalboard / amp? If not... why not? :) You should really consider that down the line. While processing the direct signal with various plugin amp sims can be fun, reamping opens up all kinds of additional sonic possibilities that are well worth the extra cost and effort. Being able to get the signal into the interface is only half the fun. Ideally, you'll also want to get a second box that will let you get it back out at the correct level and impedance for your pedals / amp.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

Faldoe wrote:

I have not spent any time with that particular Countryman - sorry. As far as what I use... in addition to my mic preamps / DI's, I have a couple of passive boxes I put together myself, a few oddball old things, a Pigtronix Keymaster (great box), a Groove Tubes Brick (another under-rated unit) and some Radial stuff. I've generally been really happy with all the Radial stuff that I've tried, and they have good DI's in your price range.

The question I have for you is - are you going to ever want to run the signal from the audio interface back into the pedalboard / amp? If not... why not?
:)
You should really consider that down the line. While processing the direct signal with various plugin amp sims can be fun, reamping opens up all kinds of additional sonic possibilities that are well worth the extra cost and effort. Being able to get the signal into the interface is only half the fun. Ideally, you'll also want to get a second box that will let you get it back out at the correct level and impedance for your pedals / amp.

yeah I've considered that but aren't those reamping boxes or whatever they are - for patching external effects into your interface, pretty pricey? Right now I just want to be able to get my guitar into my interface directly with a decent sound to record DI. I might also use some amp sims in my DAW.

Reau - can you explain what that means? Do you mean that its active? If so, yes I know and my interface has phantom power.

Reauchambeau III wrote:

like Phil said, the Radial stuff is a no brainer. the Countrman Type 85 is a great Di, I've been using one for years. I think they're pin 3 hot though, if I remember correctly.

Archived