Small Low Volume Practice/Recording amp

• Members

I have a fender Champ 600 that has great cleans but not so much high gain.  I am looking for a small amp that will take pedals well and can do high gain (with fuzz and a triple wreck for help).  I play a little bit of everything really.  As far a distorted and fuzz tones i am looking for is Smashing Pumpkins and that style.  I know these tones are generated from huge amps but is there way to generate these tones at low volumes with small amps?

Sorry to be a smart-alec, but I couldn't resist - and it's actually appropriate. :) You'll never get the Pumpkins fuzz sound from any amp - not without the appropriate fuzz pedal involved. :)

The Champ 600's speaker is pretty small, and will often fart-out (technical term ;) ) if you hit it with a lot of fuzz - especially if that fuzz adds a lot in the low frequency range. Personally, I think a Princeton RI would be a good choice for you. They have a larger 10" speaker and can take the lows better than a Champ 600 can, and while they're more powerful (12-15W vs 5W), they still sound good, even at lower volume levels. Certainly much lower than your Triple Rectifier. ;)

As far as the size of the amps, don't be fooled into thinking that "small amp = small sound when recorded." In fact, some of the most well loved classic rawk tones were tracked with smaller amps that were pushed hard.

• Members

Thank you for the help. I am not focusing on nailing the Pumpkins sound exactly I am just using that as example of the gain levels I would like to achieve. I just want to find an affordable amp that sounds great and will have perfect cleans yet can still do metal if I need it to. You know the perfect amp for every situation and can do any volume level perfectly. I am looking into the made by Mike IC Muff plus Distortion II he makes it is little pricey. I have a couple of other muff types already thought.

• Members

Try a ROland Cube before you waste your money- they're immense value and the clean channel is amazing. If not, try find an original tweed Fender Pro Junior (not the Junior with reverb on- they suck in comparison the the Pro.)

• Members

I snagged a univox U45B years ago off craigslist. They use e few weird tubes but man it sounds so damn good cranked. A unique tone as well, def got its own thing goin on. It has a 12" alnico speaker which only adds to the fatness. Highly recommended. As in honey oil high.

Archived