good, cheap drum machine to use in loop

spoonie g

• Members

Use an old cheap PC laptop with a decent soundcard. The OS can be as old as Win98. You might even be able to find someone to give you one.

Install Hammerhead http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

Install Cool Edit 96 and the User Bank Creator, and you have an extremely flexible, intuitive, though lofi drum machine that has infinite possibilities.

• Members

Alesis makes great compact drum machines; here's a summary of my experience with some other options.

iPad apps: DM-1, iElectribe, Korg MS-20

These apps are actually terrific, and if you already have an iPad they will be very, very inexpensive for you.  The DM-1 is more "rock" oriented; the iElectribe is (unsurprisingly) more tech sounding.  If you do dance music and/or like things that might sound more futuristic, you'd like its sounds.  The MS-20 is the app version of the synth, and has a steeper learning curve.  It has a sequencer that's terrific.

All of these apps can serve multiple purposes from basic metronome to full fledged recording projects.  Costs average $20/app.

Cheap Keyboards: I like Yamahas and some Casios

I'm sure some will sneer, but the canned rhythms on many of the keyboards sold for

Korg Kaossilator Pro

Yeah, I know: $350 isn't inexpensive.  However, I just love this piece of gear.  It has canned rhythms, and the touchpad with hundreds of sounds which you can use on four infinitely stackable loop channels.  I really, really like the interface; as a guitarist, it's more intuitively accessible for me because it's all about the fingertips.  Also, if you get into project work, I found a lot of it's functions very helpful (e.g., you can change keys and tempos down to tenth of a BPM).

With all of these I use a BBE Sonic Stomp to enhance the sound; deeper bass and a nice sort of EQing make this $99 box a must.  I like it more than other similar units I've tried, but of course everyone's tastes are their own.  Either way, get a bass enhancer.

Fender&EHX4ever wrote:

Use an old cheap PC laptop with a decent soundcard. The OS can be as old as Win98. You might even be able to find someone to give you one.

Install Hammerhead 
http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

That looks interesting too... although it would be nice if it had other sounds besides dance oriented / TR-909 type stuff.

Archived