X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good, cheap drum machine to use in loop

as the title says.... something just to easily make beats and jam to. What say you?

<div class="signaturecontainer">Formerly known as Spoonie G.<br />
    <br />
    <div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">
    <div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px; width:852; height:26">
    <input class="button" type="button" value="Show Spoiler" style="font-size:12px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName(' div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('d iv')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('d iv')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show Spoiler'; }">
    </div>
    <div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;">
    <div style="display: none;">
    <a href="http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7874/spoileri.jpg" target="_blank">http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7874/spoileri.jpg</a>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div></div>

Zoom RT-223

This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment

Used Alesis SR-16 or SR-18. IIRC, I paid $50 for one, and that was a few years back. My wife uses it for laying down a basic beat while she's working on songwriting.

Use an old cheap PC laptop with a decent soundcard. The OS can be as old as Win98. You might even be able to find someone to give you one.

Install Hammerhead http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

Install Cool Edit 96 and the User Bank Creator, and you have an extremely flexible, intuitive, though lofi drum machine that has infinite possibilities.

Comment

• Danhedonia
      Danhedonia commented
      Editing a comment

Alesis makes great compact drum machines; here's a summary of my experience with some other options.

iPad apps: DM-1, iElectribe, Korg MS-20
      These apps are actually terrific, and if you already have an iPad they will be very, very inexpensive for you.  The DM-1 is more "rock" oriented; the iElectribe is (unsurprisingly) more tech sounding.  If you do dance music and/or like things that might sound more futuristic, you'd like its sounds.  The MS-20 is the app version of the synth, and has a steeper learning curve.  It has a sequencer that's terrific.

All of these apps can serve multiple purposes from basic metronome to full fledged recording projects.  Costs average $20/app.

Cheap Keyboards: I like Yamahas and some Casios
      I'm sure some will sneer, but the canned rhythms on many of the keyboards sold for <$100 these days are great, and if you spend 30 minutes reading the manual and learning their functions, you can get some very useful stuff from them - VERY useful.  Most also have "drumkit" voicing so you can create your own rhythm loops.  And you get a keyboard, too.

Korg Kaossilator Pro
      Yeah, I know: $350 isn't inexpensive.  However, I just love this piece of gear.  It has canned rhythms, and the touchpad with hundreds of sounds which you can use on four infinitely stackable loop channels.  I really, really like the interface; as a guitarist, it's more intuitively accessible for me because it's all about the fingertips.  Also, if you get into project work, I found a lot of it's functions very helpful (e.g., you can change keys and tempos down to tenth of a BPM).

With all of these I use a BBE Sonic Stomp to enhance the sound; deeper bass and a nice sort of EQing make this $99 box a must.  I like it more than other similar units I've tried, but of course everyone's tastes are their own.  Either way, get a bass enhancer.

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment

Fender&amp;EHX4ever wrote:

Use an old cheap PC laptop with a decent soundcard. The OS can be as old as Win98. You might even be able to find someone to give you one.

Install Hammerhead http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

That looks interesting too... although it would be nice if it had other sounds besides dance oriented / TR-909 type stuff.

Working...
X