Robbie Krieger

A.P. Ryder

• Members

Every few years I go on a Doors kick and have been listening to a lot of live stuff lately.  Man, Robbie Krieger is one bad-ass player.  No effects, just a sweet SG and his fingers.  Lots of dazzling solos when called for, but also plays for the song.  Very underrated, IMHO.

Anyone else dig him (or the Doors, for that matter).  (I know it isn't cool to like the Doors, but I still like them after 45 years of listening to them.  I remember hearing "Light My Fire" on AM radio when it first came out ['67]).

• Members

Huge Doors fan. Big fan of Robby. So many songs where he has such a minimal role...hidden behind Manzarek and the obnoxious vox organ. I dig that ability to hang back the way he always did to fit the music and just add depth.

Great slide player and one of the first to use it a lot in pop. Oh and he also wrote most of the big hits... light my fire, love me two times, touch me, love her madly. Thats a strong resum

• Members

The reason a wah pedal was my first purchase was because of peace frog. Supposedly Robbie didn't even use one. Also, fuzz on "hello I love you" us pretty sweet.

Robbie credits the reason their music aged better than most of that era is because he didn't use fx.

• Members

Yeah, he was big into flamenco before they formed The Doors. Supposedly he had only been playing electric guitar for 6 months or so when The Doors got together. There's a nice flamenco track on Robby's latest solo album "Singularity".

And yeah he used effects, but compared to a lot of his contemporaries- he was pretty restrained with them. More than a few of his recorded tones were him just plugging directly into the studio's mixing board. In fact, the When The Music's Over solo that's on the album was Robby plugged directly into the board.  Plus, all that echo/verb you hear on the Strange Days album was natural... they used the echo chamber at Sunset Sound.  That was a big deal to them.

And Howard Stern's dad had nothing to do with The Doors :catlol:

• Members

Zappa74 wrote:

Huge Doors fan. Big fan of Robby. So many songs where he has such a minimal role...hidden behind Manzarek and the obnoxious vox organ. I dig that ability to hang back the way he always did to fit the music and just add depth.

Yep, he's one of my favorite guitarists for that reason. 

• Members

imbuedblue wrote:

I used to be a huge Doors fan. Thanks for reminding me.

Did Robby use a Maestro Fuzz Tone on the recordings? I've seen photos of him with a Vox Tone Bender, but I seriously doubt that's what he ran into his Twin in the studio.

Yeah I thnk a maestro and mayve a vox wah?

• Members

yeah, kreiger and the doors were great. understated and all understood dynamics pretty well to support morrison. 

also, someone said they thought the doors would have been nothing without morrison; though this may be true, i think morrison would have been nothing without the doors. as with most great groups, it is their synergy which made them great. 

• Members

ok, let's look at what i wrote one more time:

also, someone said they thought the doors would have been nothing without morrison; though this may be true, i think morrison would have been nothing without the doors. as with most great groups, it is their synergy which made them great

My only speculation therefore was regarding morrison standing on his own without the doors as well, with a final analysis that the sum was greater than the parts. 

• Members

what are you saying exactly?  the doors wouldn't be the doors without all the members?   jim morrison would have been nothing without the doors?   

i dare say that the doors would have been nothing without robbie krieger.  have you heard their demos before he was in the band?  dreadful.

Archived