bass dirt/fuzz?

• Members

suggest some dirt or fuzz to use with bass, both through an amp and direct. I've tried pretty much everything I have without results that I love. the tech21 Bass VT I'm using actually does have some useable dirt with the gain up, but it also gets really noisy, and I'd much rather leave it at the clean setting and have dirt footswitchable rather than having to change the settings all the time.

for tones I guess I'm chasing something between DFA1979, T54, various NIN bass, etc. I know a lot of DFA and dirty punk bass in general is just a cranked amp but that's not an option for me.

from my collection I've tried:

big muff w/tone wicker - hated it

fairfield circuitry unpleasant surprise - way too gated

effector 13 torn's peaker - pretty good but way too noisy, also picks up radio stations

empress effects fuzz - didn't like it on bass

d*a*m meathead - didn't like it on bass, not enough control

penny pedals fingerprint - the best of the group currently, but still more gated than I like, and not nasty enough when backed off

geiger counter - couldn't find a setting I liked, but there's a lot to dig through

• Members

SFT!!!!!!

catalinbread sft is a great way to get cranked amp sounds for bass. it also does lots of other pleasant tones, loves getting boosted, and is one of my favorite pedals ever. so, I think an SFT will do right by you.

lots of folks like gated-ey/ octavey fuzzes for bass. things like the bazz fuss at the most basic, and the brassmaster/b:assmaster or fy-2/fy-6 on the more complicated end. 

also honk is correct. rat. 

or rat pushing the sft. which is killer.

• Members

Another vote for the Bass Big Muff, and also if you're willing to think about milder dirt, the Bad Monkey costs next to nothing, is rugged, sounds great on bass thanks to bass EQ being able to add back the low end typically lost in a TS circuit.  Also stacks well with the bass drver DI and therefore I would assume with the VT bass.

Steve

• Members

The Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler is easily my favorite bass pedal right now. There are ridiculous amounts of low end, a clean blend, and a gate switch. What more could you ask for? I love that thing for some super deep, fuzzy, synthy tones. I've also been using the Dr. Scientist The Elements and my Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina on bass, but the frazz is still my favorite. Anything with a clean blend makes me happy though.

Archived