Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me re-tube my Blues Jr.

I dig the overall sound of the amp but the tubes do sime a little brittle.  i'm willing to spend around $100 on new tubes.  I want something that will tame the treble a bit and add a little more warmth.  What say ye!!?

Dead Soldiers

i had the same issue with my vox ac4.. i switched out the stock 12ax7 with a japanese vos raytheon. took the brittle sound right out of it. i'd try to find some mullards or RCA, though.
    We just spent $64,000 in that bar. We're going to have to get jobs, to cover up the fact that we rob banks.

Comment

• k tone
      k tone commented
      Editing a comment

I put JJ's in mine with a Jan Phillips 5751 in V1 for less gain.  I use pedals for dirty tones so I like the amp cleanish.

• cryptosonic
      cryptosonic commented
      Editing a comment
      I liked a 5751 in v1 to keep things cleaner and JJ's for the output tubes. Everything else was EHX 12ax7's. I always sprung for the balanced triode option on v3, never tested to see if there was any difference from my non-tested tubes but it was a two dollar option so what the hay.

+1 on the JJs and NOS 5751.

You're in Memphis right? I'd call Tube Depot and see what they have to say.

Comment

• iamthearm
      iamthearm commented
      Editing a comment

imbuedblue wrote:

+1 on the JJs and NOS 5751.

You're in Memphis right? I'd call Tube Depot and see what they have to say.

yeah i have a couple of friends that work there, and that's where i get all my tubes, but i figured this group would know more about blues jr's specifically since all you goobers own them.

Working...
X